• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overloaded??

rizzo

tlspeed said:
The pic is of HEMTT wrecker, pulling a HET tractor with a tank transport trailer which has a A1 or A2 tank (not sure) on it. Here are the weights. The HEMTT Wrecker is rated at 104,000
HEMTT-51,000
HET-41,000
trailer-50,000
Tank-140,000
Total- 282,000
= 128% overloaded

Big load, but it looks like its getting the job done.

spicergear

Would the load rating be for a carried load? with the transport load being alot absorbed by the three rear axles on the HET...wouldn't that make the direct load on the HEMTT just mainly the nose of the HET and a little of the transport load? Pulled load is way...up there and cool but actual load on truck load? ...that's a great pic! Those HEMTT's are impressive-

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I can tell you from experience that there are no hills to climb and we overload if necessary for emergency. I once picked up a FUP for an M1 tank with a 10 K FL in the desert because it had to be done the FL was really straining since the FUP wieghs about 16K

jeli

I would assume the HET has air connections in the front for towing. Might be a delay all those brakes working off the HEMTT but they'd work. Like Armyman said. If it's got to be moved it will be moved. Just not fast.

I had to hook to an M870 trailer with my M123. The winch was out so we dug under it with a loader so I could get under it and hook, the front was up. Once hooked I didn't have any traction to get going. All the trailer wheels were frozen in 6 inches of ice and a phone pole was between two axles. A bit over kill on the wheel chocks!!! In all the activity I forgot to release the trailer brakes. With a D7 on the back an M977 pulled me out in high range like nothing.

M1075

Re: RE: overloaded??

jeli said:
I had to hook to an M870 trailer with my M123. .
I thought the M123 was setup for to pull trailers with the large kingpin. Can it handle the smaller/regular king pin or is some sort of adapter required?

M1075

I love the pic and I'm not surprised at all with the load. I think the HEMTT has the same engine/powertrain as the HET. In a pinch, it might even be able to pull 500,000#. Air brakes on the towed load would help stop it. Notice that in the pic, the rig is a 54-wheeler!

Attachments

jeli

M1075 said:
jeli said:
I had to hook to an M870 trailer with my M123. .
I thought the M123 was setup for to pull trailers with the large kingpin. Can it handle the smaller/regular king pin or is some sort of adapter required?
Our 10 ton's and 916's all ran the big pin. The pin just slides into the hole from the top and lifts as you set it down. I would suppose a 2" pin is available but all the trucks that have winches have the big pin. Not sure about HEMMT tractors.

M1075

RE: Re: RE: overloaded??

What trailers have the big pin? I know the M747 and M172 (reversible) have it, but does the M872? How do you pull a M872 trailer (assuming small pin) with the big pin trucks (M123, M911, M916, M984, etc.)?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M983 HEMTT tractors were desgined to pull one thing, and one thing only.. Patriot missle trailers. Thats all Uncle Sam wanted them to do. You'd never see M983 in any unit other than an ADA unit, one that has Patriots. And you'll never see one pulling anything other than it's trailer it was desgined for.

The M984 is a HEMTT wrecker, no 5th wheels on them..

Hello All -
Great photo. Saw the Oshkosh HET for the first time recently and was impressed. It belonged to the British and was in Afghanistan. I haven't got the pictures on hand but I'll dig them up soon and post them. I do have a couple interesting ones of a recovered LAV-3 on the deck of a PLS HEMTT in Afghanistan recently. Not sure of the model PLS or its load capacity, but it was a double/triple take by the people going by. I wouldn't get to close to the sides once loaded up, but you do what you can with what you got when the situation dictates!

Attachments

kcimb

M1075 said:
I love the pic and I'm not surprised at all with the load. I think the HEMTT has the same engine/powertrain as the HET. In a pinch, it might even be able to pull 500,000#. Air brakes on the towed load would help stop it. Notice that in the pic, the rig is a 54-wheeler!
:shock:

Wonder what his MPG was :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks