• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overpriced CUCV's in Northeast?

msoumas

Is it just me, or does it seem like all the private sales in the Northeast area are running $4000-5000 for decent condition CUCVs? I thought these trucks went for less than that, but since GL has not given me much in the way of luck recently i've been poking my head around in the resale market. Is it because of the climate, making non-rusted trucks a hot commodity, or are people just asking too much? I am slowly withering away without a truck here in Boston. :?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Overpriced CUCV

I would say you are right on both counts: non-rusted trucks cost more up there because there are so few of them, and people are asking too much. They are great trucks, but rust or not, you won't see me paying $5K on a 20-25 year old Blazer, that's for sure. My advise to you is, get one from climes that are more dry, where the metal isn't bad condition, and have it shipped up to you. Not by way of commercial shipper either, they will rape you for the savings you got on the truck. Find a small-time shipper, or maybe someone here on the board who can help out with transporting it for you at a discount if they are going the same way. There are truckers here on Steel Soldiers, sometimes they offer a discount if they are deadheading back without a load and can fit your truck onboard. Down here, decent CUCVs get $2K to $3K.

papercu

CUCV

If you can't buy a truck reasonable, "Thank A Collector" your best bet is to check county and local government auctions. (The ones that hasn't gone on-line, that is.)
Just read the posts on here about the guys that buy on-line, never seeing the truck or other items and paying big bucks for them. Wayne

msoumas

Re: RE: CUCV

CCATLETT1984 said:
you should look south of you one of our members in NJ has a m1008 for sale cheap.
Was looking more for a M1009 as I need the overdrive transmission for highway driving, but who and where?

Bozor1000

RE: Re: RE: CUCV

All cucvs have the TH400. The only way you will get an overdrive is if you go ahead and transplant a 700r4 when you get the truck. Mine isn't going to be used on the highway too much so I am not worried about the overdrive.

1984CUCV

I personally WOULD spend $4k-$5K on a 24-25 year old vehicle if it was rust free and in great shape. I see it like this: go price a new truck and see how bad 4-5k sounds - not that bad. Besides yes you can buy one from GL for lets say 2k but you are buying a truck sight unseen. You may get it home and it may need a engine and trans or a body panels or a driveshaft etc. The shipping cost will add easily 800 bucks to the price.

I am originally from maine and I know what you are saying by not being able to find a rust free truck. when i moved to Florida I found a real nice m1008 from GA that was 100% rust free and in awesome shape and yes I did pay a little premium for it but i was able to look it over before I bought it. When I lived in Maine I looked for one for 5 years and I will tell you that they are rare and rust free one are almost non-existant (at least in maine). I personally do not what care someone else has paid for something. If I want it and I think it is a good deal then I will buy it. When I saw my truck if the guy was asking 7k for it I would have bought it. I have always wanted a rust free cucv and I finally got a chance to buy one. Everytime I look in the garage and look at it it puts a smile on my face - and you can not put a price tag on that. Beside they no longer make them and in time the price will only appreciate if it rust free and well taken care of.

AJMBLAZER

I agree on the rust free truck sentiment. While the values have dropped up here since gas prices rose a rust free classic truck (which these are now) is a virtual rarity up here in the rust belt. If you want one you pay a premium or you go elsewhere and bring it back like I did.

Check Craigslist. You'd be surprised how clean these trucks (and their civilian counterparts) can be in the southwest and parts of the south. Clean as in looking better than my 1986 K5 Blazer I had in 1996 did in 1987 when it was one year old.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rust free is the key to value for these trucks. Plus, they typically have low mileage for their age. The M1009's are not worth as much as pickups, IMHO, although they are definitely better for regular highway use because of the 3.08 gearing. In my mind, a really clean M1009 is worth $4-5K, if that's really what you want, but the pickups are definitely worth more in comparable condition. A clean pickup is easily worth $5K. By clean, I mean straight metal, no rot, good original paint, runs well, etc... Basically, you buy it and drive it. Fresh paint and tires/etc drives the price up from there...

Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder... My 2cents

AJMBLAZER

Very definitely. I recently had a discussion with a guy who is an excellent body man. He told me he wouldn't pay more than a grand for one of these trucks as he thinks nothing of replacing floor pans, body panels, cab corners, fenders, body structure, etc etc etc.

To each their own I guess.

This is also why when I see some of the folks out west cutting up or demolishing perfectly straight vehicles it makes me cringe. :?

Mike_Pop

Finding a rust free CUCV is not easy. Remember, this body style is prone to rust...no matter where you keep it.

I've got my M1009 for sale and will be bringing it from Nevada to the east coast within a month. PM me if interested.

msoumas

What sort of preventative measures can be taken with these things to keep the cancer at bay? The easiest would probably be to keep it away from weather, but that would entirely defeat the purpose of owning a 4x4 in New England. I know there are undercoatings that can help out with the frame, but what about keeping the body nice?

AJMBLAZER

Coating it with oil works but that is very messy.

Take the whole body off and then paint it with something like Rust Bullet or POR-15.

Not drive it in the winter and have a beater for that. That's what I did. About the only way to ensure these trucks don't rot away. Consider it an investment.

Tugboattrash

I did a 1st timers frame off resto on a 77 3/4 4x4 in NH a few years ago. I scraped off the heavy scale, degreased, wire wheeled, applied metal etching, and layed a couple coats of POR 15. As long as the loose stuff is gone apply the POR right over the rust! I did the frame, axels, bottom of bed and cab, drums, springs, and wheelwells. This stuff is tuff and sticks as long as you follow the instructions. I've started looking for a 1009 for a similair project and plan on using the POR again.

ONTOS66

One "feature" that adds to the cost of the vehicle is having a title rather than a bill of sale. I purchased my M1009 from a private party and it already had a NJ title and vehicle inspection sticker. Saving mucho time dealing with our friends at the DMV.

One of the member of the North Jersey Motor Transport Association is advertising two M1009s, with bill of sale, for $2,500 each. I haven't seen them so don't know their condition. Also don't have a copy of the newsletter at hand. Unfortunately the club does not post the newsletter on our web site, nor does it list the for sale items. Perhaps another MTA member could come up with the POC for those vehicles.

msoumas

Why is it that out of 12 CUCV's I've found, 10 of them are in NJ? I have a feeling my friend there who I just helped move is going to be doing a lot in the way of repaying that favor. :lol:

ONTOS66 said:
One of the member of the North Jersey Motor Transport Association is advertising two M1009s, with bill of sale, for $2,500 each. I haven't seen them so don't know their condition. Also don't have a copy of the newsletter at hand. Unfortunately the club does not post the newsletter on our web site, nor does it list the for sale items. Perhaps another MTA member could come up with the POC for those vehicles.
Sounds like a reasonable price, assuming they are in reasonable shape. Got any contact info on the guy?

maritimer

i paid $7200 for mine, put new sneakers on it and fixed some inspection stuff before i could plate it all in for repairs to plate it and the new tires was $9000 in cluding the taxes

choll

I have a 100% rust free M1028 for sale.I just drove it from Las Vegas to Seattle. New tires,fluids,belts in dash radio. Runs perfest will be posting on classified this week with pics. PM if interested

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks