• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overspeed switch

airhigh64

Hello everybody! Just joined up, have been lurking on this site for awhile and it sure looks like where I can find out info, thanks ahead.
I have purchased a rebuilt White/Hercules D198ER. Appears a lot of the engine function devices are installed. oil pressure, water temp, oil pressure, the problem I have is with the overspeed switch, need to know the workings of this device. The NSN # is 5930-01-537-9648. Will be mating this engine to a 25 KW 2-bearing generator. Really would need to get this switch working properly.

Guyfang

Staff member
You should look at a schmatic for maybe the MEP-004, MEP-005 or MEP-006 gen set. Normally, the speed switch, (S-9) description is in any of the TM's for the aforementioned gen sets.

A short description, The S-9.1 contacts are reversing contacts. One set is normally closed. They open, and cut the starter out, at a predetermined RPM, to prevent the starter grinding on the flywheel. The other S-9.1 contacts, close at the same time to send 24 volts to the A.C. volt exciter/regulator, to light off the main generator. S9-2 contacts are not used, (but could be). S-9.3 contacts, are a normally closed contacts, that only open at a predetermined RPM to stop the gen set from overspeeding. The RPM and other info is in the TM's it's been too long ago for me to remember.

Did that help? If not, tell me what is important to know.

Good engine. Runs sweet.

Take care,
Guy Wiltfang

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks