• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overturned HMMWV in NJ, stay safe folks

tage

I think you're biased as you did not have a diesel, and fast axles. Let alone drove any of the modern ones...^^
Literally y'all are comparing a Mercedes to a Chevrolet.... German engineering is the best of the world.

The hmmwv is over engineered, but American over engineered...

o1951

Back to the topic of this thread.
Any news on cause of crash?
The most plausibleexplanation is a previous post saying it looked like they had to take to the shoulder at highway speed, and got tangled up with the guard rail and it's support posts.

springbok

Drifting way off topic here, bottom line, M998 rolled over for yet unknown reason and 4 people got really hurt. It goes to show why they do not want these all over the road being driven by people that do not understand the risks. Not saying everyone but enough to justify their decision that they are not safe for public use. Agree or not you see what happens when one of these puppies rolls over. Does it happen often? No but it only takes one to say "See now you know we are right"
That said. I hope that all recover and whatever the root cause, I hope we learn what it was in case it is something we as owners must be aware of. We do not have Ralph Nader reporting on the shortfalls of the safety of HUMVEEs...

greenjeepster

With about 300 K mil versions and 10 K civi versions on the road, reports of accidents are pretty rare. Fatal accident reports are non-existent. Relatively speaking they are far safer than motorcycles.

There was a roll-over accident in VT last summer which was ruled a result of improper trailer load. followup reports on this one states that the driver struck the guardrail and flipped.

Last edited:

mahdey

April 16th, 2016.

Wow! Now one sees why the HMMWV is not a particularly safe vehicle on the highway. It IS time to fit them with a heavy duty ROPS system, and possibly then scrap them out upon retirement. We are seeing a great similarity to the original Ford M151 1/4 ton utility truck, which had similar propensities and weaknesses. At least when my M422A1 threw a wheel (front right), it did nothing like that due to the better design of its suspension system.

It is sad that we expect our GI's stateside to face unnecessary dangers like this even before they get to the combat zone. I figured something was going on last weekend as there were many military convoys going east on I-70 in Indiana, Ohio, W.Va. and PA. Something must be building up, wonder what?:neutral:
We were at Camp Atterberry (sp) for WPN STX, getting certified on the different methods of ambush with the 240, plus some other things.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've probably read every Army fatal class A accident report over the last 10 years or so and I can't recall an inordinate number of HMMWV rollovers. I can look in the Army accident database to view every HMMWV rollover accident fatal or non-fatal over the last 25 years or so, but I don't need to. Simply put, considering the incredibly large number of HMMWVs in service and the extraordinary number of miles driven, HMMWVs have an excellent record. Are they perfect? Nope. They absolutely could be safer, but for a variety of very valid reasons they are not. They were not designed primarily as a highway vehicle, nor as an armored combat vehicle, nor as a cargo vehicle, nor as a reconnaissance vehicle, nor as a recreational vehicle, nor as a rock crawler, nor as a mud buggy... They were designed to do everything we could think of, and as it turned out they do a lot of things the designers didn't think of. And the HMMWV continues to do it all passably well. It certainly isn't the best vehicle ever built, but the US military cannot procure a purpose-built vehicle or widget every time someone identifies a requirement. We tried that from about 2005 to 2011 and it isn't even close to sustainable. Remember: Highly Mobile Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle.

DanM7890

Article says the driver that caused this only got charged with Reckless Driving? Is anyone else shocked? It should be vehicular manslaughter.

dilvoy

From the looks of the fotos, I think a full width or near full width front bumper on the Humvee might have kept the right front tire from climbing/grabbing the guard rail and causing the roll over. The vehicle might have just spun out after the impact or maybe still rolled over, but it would have probably bought a bit of time. Still it is an easy thing to make or have made relatively speaking and will only change the look of the vehicle for collectors worried about that just a little bit compared to a roll cage. The Humvee body is weak in the outer front footwell/outer A Beam areas because of the design and material of the body tub. Adding bits in those areas like what is used on the M11XX series as armor protection would most certainly help the strength.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the looks of the fotos, I think a full width or near full width front bumper on the Humvee might have kept the right front tire from climbing/grabbing the guard rail and causing the roll over. The vehicle might have just spun out after the impact or maybe still rolled over, but it would have probably bought a bit of time. Still it is an easy thing to make or have made relatively speaking and will only change the look of the vehicle for collectors worried about that just a little bit compared to a roll cage. The Humvee body is weak in the outer front footwell/outer A Beam areas because of the design and material of the body tub. Adding bits in those areas like what is used on the M11XX series as armor protection would most certainly help the strength.
Every aspect of design is a compromise.

Your proposed change would make the hmmwv a safer interstate passenger vehicle, at the cost of ruining the approach angle and making it less capable in rough terrain.

KsM715

I've probably read every Army fatal class A accident report over the last 10 years or so and I can't recall an inordinate number of HMMWV rollovers. I can look in the Army accident database to view every HMMWV rollover accident fatal or non-fatal over the last 25 years or so, but I don't need to. Simply put, considering the incredibly large number of HMMWVs in service and the extraordinary number of miles driven, HMMWVs have an excellent record. Are they perfect? Nope. They absolutely could be safer, but for a variety of very valid reasons they are not. They were not designed primarily as a highway vehicle, nor as an armored combat vehicle, nor as a cargo vehicle, nor as a reconnaissance vehicle, nor as a recreational vehicle, nor as a rock crawler, nor as a mud buggy... They were designed to do everything we could think of, and as it turned out they do a lot of things the designers didn't think of. And the HMMWV continues to do it all passably well. It certainly isn't the best vehicle ever built, but the US military cannot procure a purpose-built vehicle or widget every time someone identifies a requirement. We tried that from about 2005 to 2011 and it isn't even close to sustainable. Remember: Highly Mobile Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle.
Yes, that is why I said last May. Someone said the looked and didn't see any fatal hmmwv accidents.
Re-read sigos post. He did not say there were no fatal HMMWV rollovers, he said there were not an inordinate number of fatal rollovers. Statistically speaking HMMWV are no more dangerous than any other SUV on the road today.

Mil Vehicles are not designed for nor should be driven like they were designed for high speed interstate travel.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re-read sigos post. He did not say there were no fatal HMMWV rollovers, he said there were not an inordinate number of fatal rollovers. Statistically speaking HMMWV are no more dangerous than any other SUV on the road today.

Mil Vehicles are not designed for nor should be driven like they were designed for high speed interstate travel.
and the number 2 post after my comtrol box and glow plugs blew up seems to be, how can I make it go faster!
i have talked my fair share of perspective buyer out of HMMWV's just because they think they can make it do 75 on the interstate. My 98 H1 is happy at 65, will do 70 but that's pushing it and I don't do it.
these trucks were built for off-road and convoy speeds...that means slow.
If you think a HMMWV is slow, try an M151....did that for years as an MP...freaking sucked.

EnteJager

Who said there weren't any fatal HMMWV accidents?
I posted it for post #44, didn't hit quote, my mistake. Sorry for the confusion.

"With about 300 K mil versions and 10 K civi versions on the road, reports of accidents are pretty rare. Fatal accident reports are non-existent. Relatively speaking they are far safer than motorcycles.

Last edited:

EnteJager

I posted it for post #44, did't hit quote, my mistake. Sorry for the confusion.

"With about 300 K mil versions and 10 K civi versions on the road, reports of accidents are pretty rare. Fatal accident reports are non-existent. Relatively speaking they are far safer than motorcycles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks