• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PA - Spring 2015 Rausch Creek Steel Soldiers Rally

Joehop

It was my 1st time and I had a absolutely great weekend at Rausch Creek also. It was great to learn what my m931 was capable of, these machines are really incredible. I met a lot of great people and wanted to thank Ricky for pretty much doing the repairs to my truck (without me asking, he just jumped in and started wrenching on it) after a huge log ripped 2 air lines off, Also to plethora of guns for his awesome tool collection in his cucv, (sorry to hear about his motor on the way home). Luckily I was able to make it back to do the repairs while towing another cucv that had some issues. Without plethoraofguns tools I probably would have had a tough time finding the parts I needed to make the repairs. It was great to hang out at the campfire too, thanks to drecon for the country boil, just when I thought I couldnt eat anymore I had a big plate, good stuff! also wanted to thank shenkmen for the captain, and a big thanks to Paul for taking the videos and getting them posted so fast.

Sorry to hear that some people were frustrated or thought that "it sucked" because of waiting for other vehicles to pass on a tight trail, maybe bowling or bingo would be a better group activity for them. I was one of the 3 trucks coming down the hill and apologize if it really was a big deal to some people, I think most didn't really care. I didnt think it deserved the few curses that were yelled about it. We left the group at lunch to return to the camp so another member who had already paid for the day could go wheel, he wasn't able to leave by himself since he arrived late and missed us leaving. I waited quite a bit for many different reasons, whether it was a group of jeeps coming the other way or other MVs doing a climb or obstacle, I had to wait, never was I once frustrated and the only thing that sucked was my air lines getting ripped off. I think the idea of communicating is great but if everyone doesn't have a CB then that's not really going to work. Next time maybe a list of cell phone numbers might be a better option, I would be happy to put mine on a list if need be. I'm pretty sure everyone had a cell phone with them. I also stopped to talk to a lot of the Jeep and Toyota guys that were really interested in the trucks and asked a lot of questions, none seemed bothered by our trucks being on the trails. sorry for the rant, Hopefully the next one will be just as much fun, thanks again to all the positive people!

GregSLSTJ

I am glad you had a good time. I would have had a better time if we kept moving. Maybe for me it is not an adventure anymore. I have been off roading since 1996 and mil vehicles at RC rallies since 2008. Waiting for a small group to pass our larger group on the pole line trail, sucked. It was not fun backing down the hill and up a bank to let them past. They could have stopped and backed up as easy as having our whole group stop and wait for them to pass. It really was not a big deal, but the guys who roll along or park in the middle of a trail don't think about the guys that need to sit and wait. We discussed our route at the morning meeting. Without good CB communication the delays were frustrating to me.

I have been on rides with over a thousand jeeps at RC (Topless for TaTas) and did not have near as many delays as this weekend. When jeep groups run into each other it is easier to squeeze past each other. I told several groups we ran into that the army trucks were coming along and they decided to turn around or detour. Not everyone thinks our trucks are as cool as we do. There was CB chatter from other groups not happy with us.
RC is tight for the big trucks. We should check out Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area. It is evolving and is twice the size of RC and has the same type of terrain but more open. I'm going to check it out with my jeep soon. It is like 35 miles from RC.

jwentz57

RC is tight for the big trucks. We should check out Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area. It is evolving and is twice the size of RC and has the same type of terrain but more open. I'm going to check it out with my jeep soon. It is like 35 miles from RC.
Our trucks may not be allowed .with the soft tops and no rollbar

PaFarmer

For the record, I like wheeling, not waiting for guys who don't listen at the morning meeting as to the route, or guys who don't bring tools to fix broken stuff or expect everyone to wait for them or get out of their way. I don't like bowling or bingo or stopping every 10 minutes on green trails. I had a ball my first Steel Soldiers trip in 08 and a dozen since. After driving several deuces, stock and bobbed, my 931A1 and a 404 mog on rallies, I have decided I like driving jeeps more.

I met a lot of cool people and I thank those guys for the good times, but I think I am going to stick to running blues and blacks with my jeep clubs. Thanks.

Another Ahab

For the record, I like wheeling, not waiting for guys who don't listen at the morning meeting as to the route, or guys who don't bring tools to fix broken stuff or expect everyone to wait for them or get out of their way. I don't like bowling or bingo or stopping every 10 minutes on green trails. I had a ball my first Steel Soldiers trip in 08 and a dozen since. After driving several deuces, stock and bobbed, my 931A1 and a 404 mog on rallies, I have decided I like driving jeeps more.

I met a lot of cool people and I thank those guys for the good times, but I think I am going to stick to running blues and blacks with my jeep clubs. Thanks.
Sorry to hear that didn't work out for you PaFarmer, but I get it when life's too short to spend time waiting:

- I don't know the lingo; what is "running blue and black"?

Sorry to hear that didn't work out for you PaFarmer, but I get it when life's too short to spend time waiting:

- I don't know the lingo; what is "running blue and black"?
Speaking with colors means difficulty of trails. Trails run easy to hard, green-blue-black-red.

I think communication is key to events like this. It's just silly for everyone not to have communications in their trucks. Even the cheapo handheld cb's would suffice.

cucvrus

It was my 1st time and I had a absolutely great weekend at Rausch Creek also. It was great to learn what my m931 was capable of, these machines are really incredible. I met a lot of great people and wanted to thank Ricky for pretty much doing the repairs to my truck (without me asking, he just jumped in and started wrenching on it) after a huge log ripped 2 air lines off, Also to plethora of guns for his awesome tool collection in his cucv, (sorry to hear about his motor on the way home). Luckily I was able to make it back to do the repairs while towing another cucv that had some issues. Without plethoraofguns tools I probably would have had a tough time finding the parts I needed to make the repairs. It was great to hang out at the campfire too, thanks to drecon for the country boil, just when I thought I couldnt eat anymore I had a big plate, good stuff! also wanted to thank shenkmen for the captain, and a big thanks to Paul for taking the videos and getting them posted so fast.

Sorry to hear that some people were frustrated or thought that "it sucked" because of waiting for other vehicles to pass on a tight trail, maybe bowling or bingo would be a better group activity for them. I was one of the 3 trucks coming down the hill and apologize if it really was a big deal to some people, I think most didn't really care. I didnt think it deserved the few curses that were yelled about it. We left the group at lunch to return to the camp so another member who had already paid for the day could go wheel, he wasn't able to leave by himself since he arrived late and missed us leaving. I waited quite a bit for many different reasons, whether it was a group of jeeps coming the other way or other MVs doing a climb or obstacle, I had to wait, never was I once frustrated and the only thing that sucked was my air lines getting ripped off. I think the idea of communicating is great but if everyone doesn't have a CB then that's not really going to work. Next time maybe a list of cell phone numbers might be a better option, I would be happy to put mine on a list if need be. I'm pretty sure everyone had a cell phone with them. I also stopped to talk to a lot of the Jeep and Toyota guys that were really interested in the trucks and asked a lot of questions, none seemed bothered by our trucks being on the trails. sorry for the rant, Hopefully the next one will be just as much fun, thanks again to all the positive people!
We are all with you Joe. Ricky and I had a super time. Too bad some thought they were playing Jeep commander. I thank you and your friend for coming back and getting us at noon. We had jobs we had to work till 11:00. And you are 100% right we were having a great time. I find it hard to believe that someone would come back and cry in the thread about a little obstacle on a power line hill climb. I did not know we were there under such tight rules and regulations. And to think they had to tell the entire group that a few of us stood in the back of the 5 ton after the whole thing was over. I am with you. This was not a Steel Soldiers sponsored event we all paid our own way and brought or own vehicles. Next time we can all go separate ways in different groups. It seems to have worked out this weekend. Even with the fuel problem I had I still kept my spirits high. I thought that was what it was all about. I didn't know we were being a pain to some one else. Thank you for towing me out. I can't believe Ricky could have fixed the M1009 with my U knife and a screw driver. The feed line to the fuel pump had a small hole worn it it. Thank you for everything . I will wheel with you guys anytime. We don't need a winch when we wheel with a 5 ton. That pulled my M1009 with out effort. Thank you again.

Last edited:

Pkrez1

I was watching you get pulled and it looks like a rough ride for you at one point I saw the back of your truck bounce off a rock. Hope it did not do any damage.

Corvette1974

I had a great time at Rausch this past weekend! Awesome people and collection of MVs, we have a really good group of guys (and ladies!) in this hobby. No damage to the truck and did some absolutely incredible things with the M1028 (Us CUCV owners have it tough out there....you 5 tonners just glide right over :drool:;))

Thanks again for the fantastic weekend. If anyone sees me at Sussex this weekend (I should be there Sunday), feel free to say howdy. I'll see the rest of you at the next rally. Maybe I wont have the only red CUCV next time....

WP_20150411_09_20_04_Pro.jpgWP_20150411_17_47_09_Pro.jpgWP_20150411_17_47_07_Pro.jpgWP_20150411_17_46_37_Pro.jpgWP_20150411_17_46_35_Pro.jpgWP_20150411_17_46_20_Pro.jpgWP_20150411_17_46_18_Pro.jpgWP_20150411_09_20_07_Pro.jpgWP_20150411_09_20_16_Pro.jpgWP_20150411_17_47_11_Pro.jpg

215Dave

Well, I guess it's time I chime in and give my summary of the weekends events. First, and foremost, I had an absolute blast! This is by far my favorite SS Rally to date. I arrived Friday under day light conditions. This is the way to do it if possible. Setting up camp with the sun shining is no doubt the way to go. Diner was comprised of my Nathan's hotdogs that somehow cooked but never showed any signs of cooking process. Tasted great any-hoo.... Pretzels continued to be a hit at this rally. I will definitely continue to bring them to future rallys. My pup tent did its job and kept the wind out and kept me warm. Will remember to bring the stakes next time

Trails were great! Saturday was a ton of fun ( I think it was 2.5. Tons of fun actually). I think I found a good air pressure to air down to. Much more comfortable than what I ran in the Fall. Thanks PAFarmer for taking us through some of those fresh timbered trailers. Spicing it up, running some trails backwards, hitting some new stuff all made for a fresh rally. To my co-pilot maddawg, I truly enjoyed the company. It was a pleasure getting to know you. I appreciate your navigation and driving tips. You have acquired a great amount of knowledge from attending all the Rausch Creek events and I definitely learned from you this weekend. I hope was tolerable  I will be in touch with you when I acquire the military radio stash. To shenkman, thanks for organizing another great event. I remember we had some stumbling blocks early on with the date. I for one appreciate your patience in sorting it all out. I think I speak for most in at least saying the weather was more enjoyable. Maybe April is the new March???
Rocks!!!! That sums up the trails for me.
I love a challenge when it comes to driving. I think I pushed my limits further this time around. Thanks for the help with the steering wheel cucvsrus! Getting out of Lake Christys rock climb was a chore to say the least. My arms were a tad sore Haha! Now, on the other hand, loosing air pressure ( and ultimately the brakes) on that other rock climb earlier, that scared the sh*t out of me. I didn't get that tree's name, but I thank you for stopping me from rolling off the Pine Grove mountain. I will be changing the air tank drains ASAP. NEVER AGAIN!
My two cents on the little traffic jamb while on the trails. Didn't bother me much, but I understand the frustrations of others. I personally will be buying a CB set up to help with communication on future Rallys. I feel it's the best thing I can do to help not just me, but help the group out as a whole. That's the whole point of the rally is to come together under a mutual hobby and share in the fun. And sharing in the fun to me also means helping others out. Not just getting someone stuck out of the mud, but offering mustard or relish for someone's hotdog, or helping turn the steering wheel of those less fotunate of power steering, or radioing in on CB that some others are falling behind the rest of the group " so let's hold up a bit". I had a great time and hope everyone else did as well. I for one will be back, no question. And I have faith everyone else will be too. Let's make it a point to look for solutions, instead of hanging up on the speed bumps ( or rocks in the case of off roading).
Hope to see you all in October! Or sooner!

Last edited:

mikey

Without good CB communication the delays were frustrating to me.

Not everyone thinks our trucks are as cool as we do. There was CB chatter from other groups not happy with us.
i don't care what other groups think when we're rolling. We pay to use the park also. We weren't blasting music late at night or revving engines like some other groups. You put that many people together and you're bound to have friction. But I do get stressed when we're not moving and were holding up other groups. But I can only remember that happening at lake Christy. But the jeeps were blocking us as much as we were blocking them.

Cb's would be awesome. When we go on our atv rides at a minimum, the front and rear riders have Wilkie talkies. Makes the whole ride better and more manageable.

I think too many groups would take some of the fun away. And it would be a bitch to pass a few groups of our own going the other way. I personally think cbs or walkie talkies would be solve a lot of problems, but that's my opinion.

Mikey

Corvette1974

I know my .02 is just that...worth .02 but I wanted to chime in too. I think the communication with CB would be both helpful, and also fun (I know we have fun with it, probably to the annoyance of some others!) but they can really save some situations. I also like having us in one group - It makes for more action and for everyone to enjoy every other vehicle/driver.

I was always towards the back and tried to keep pace but I literally couldn't have gone faster in my CUCV without either destroying it or myself. I don't air down whether that is to my detriment or not. That didn't bother me though, because I always caught up haha Thanks for everyone who checked in over CB with my friends and I, that helped out a lot.

The waiting I don't really think of as an issue, and definitely don't worry about it. The only time that we were waiting and people were held up (on the power lines), we let the jeeps through and then they literally went 25 feet in front of us and parked themselves. So zero sympathy for them. I think we do very well for a group of 20 vehicles that are three times the size of the next size down vehicle for two days a year.

The moral of the story is.....I need a Deuce and a Half or 5 ton so I can keep up:driver:

Will

Phew that was one **** of a weekend for you. Roasted trans and engine (I'm getting worried about mine now!)

What was the method of failure?

Hope you eventually made it home ok.

I know someone who might have a spare 6.2

Will
I had fun regardless of destroying my truck. I had to go back to camp around 15:30 because my trans wasn't shifting properly. Turns out it just has a leaky line and was low. But my lightbar was falling off my roof (I welded brackets to the cab roof and I guess the trails just did it in, starting to rip open the sheetmetal). The front grill and passenger side lock tab both broke, but those were the least of my problems. On the way down 78 I was cruising at a comfortable 72mph when the speedometer went crazy and the overdrive unit kicked out of gear, revving the engine to an rpm high enough I can't count that high and the bearing went and I think a few connecting rods decided to go hangout somewhere else in the engine. But I have a thing where I think everything happens for a reason. And this time, it means engine upgrade. And I'm stranded in NJ atm, need to get truck back up and running to go home to kY in a few weeks.

So on a lighter note, anyone have a GEP 6.5l laying around?

Another Ahab

I had fun regardless of destroying my truck.. But I have a thing where I think everything happens for a reason. And this time, it means engine upgrade. And I'm stranded in NJ atm, need to get truck back up and running to go home to kY in a few weeks.
That's a drag for sure, but I hope it all comes together for you somehow, Guns.

Your attitude is right on, can't argue that.

Corvette1974

I had fun regardless of destroying my truck. I had to go back to camp around 15:30 because my trans wasn't shifting properly. Turns out it just has a leaky line and was low. But my lightbar was falling off my roof (I welded brackets to the cab roof and I guess the trails just did it in, starting to rip open the sheetmetal). The front grill and passenger side lock tab both broke, but those were the least of my problems. On the way down 78 I was cruising at a comfortable 72mph when the speedometer went crazy and the overdrive unit kicked out of gear, revving the engine to an rpm high enough I can't count that high and the bearing went and I think a few connecting rods decided to go hangout somewhere else in the engine. But I have a thing where I think everything happens for a reason. And this time, it means engine upgrade. And I'm stranded in NJ atm, need to get truck back up and running to go home to kY in a few weeks.

So on a lighter note, anyone have a GEP 6.5l laying around?
I hear you there, I like that motto. Check your PM box.

RC really does a number on the CUCVs, I think more so than the other vehicles. My copilot and I had touched our heads to the top of the cab a few times me thinks...

Strange that the OD unit went crazy and that killed the engine. I was putting my 6.2 up to the limiter a few times this weekend....lets hope no damage was done!

Good luck with the fix, you've never had anything stop you this far.

Will

Jason O

215 Dave - I think we were in the truck behind you when you lost air climbing the hill. Were you driving the black bobbed 5t? Had we known you were in trouble, we would have driven up against you and been your backstop.

CB's for everyone next time!

Looking foward to the next ride.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks