• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PA State Inspection

Akicita

Some of you have seen me and my truck at Aberdeen earlier this month. It is an M35A2 w/w without any add-on equipment. It has a regular PA license tag. The truck is NOT used commercially but only for my personal needs around the property, occasional trips to Home Depot, etc.

This truck had previously been inspected in another part of PA before I bought it last year. The year is up, and I took my Deuce to a PA state inspection station today.

The mechanic at the station surprised me when he said the truck was not properly lighted, and that it needs a DOT bar under the bumperettes. He wants to install marker lights on the cab (I have no idea where since the truck has a ragtop.), on the front blinkers, on the side of the truck and in the back of the truck.

I don't remember seeing any truck like that at Aberdeen, and as those of you who were there know, there were many M35s this year.

Antique plates are not an option because I want to be able to legally haul garden dirt, occasionally some horse ****, etc.

I'm in Southeastern PA (the Philadelphia corner) and ask for advice. How can I keep this military vehicle look like one ? I am not aware that the regulations have changed. Is this guy making a mistake, or am I misinformed ? Where do you get your trucks inspected ? Please feel free to send me PMs.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you take it to another inspection station, one located in a very rural area away from Philadelphia? What about the inspection station it was inspected at previously? Might be time for a road trip.

Tlauden

Funny you post this, I was just talking to a state inspection mechanic about this tonight. He said he will inspect according to what the truck was originally equiped with. The light deal came up and he said since it was made to either have running lights or headlights on, not both at the same time, that there were zero lighting issues. Granted you blinkers and stop lights have to be fully functional. I know the guy personally so he said he will do research on original specs for the truck but he does not cut corners and he insPects 18 wheelers on a regular basis. Good luck in your quest and if you wanna drive the whole way up here to get it inspected I'll be more than happy to pass on the info of where he is located. Good luck in your quest and I hope this helps ya[thumbzup]

paulfarber

Your truck has to meet the original manufacturers safety equipment. If your truck originally has no running lights, then they cannot make you put them on. Thats the way it works... but some mechanics have power (and money) trips and will not let it pass unless it meets THEIR made up standards.

As mentioned, call around to other stations and ask them how they interpret the rules with regards to original vehicle lighting specs... and keep telling them its NOT a commercial vehicle and it does NOT have air brakes.

Also due to weight class the inspector told me that I had to get inspected every 6 months, not annually.

Anyone ever hear of this?

Akicita

GLCaines, yes, I may have to go and travel a bit....

TLauden, thanks for your reply. You make a very interesting point about the lights the truck was designed to have. I bet that mechanic hadn't thought of it that way.
I looked up Halifax, and you're really a long distance from me. I appreciate the offer but I hope I'll find a shop closer to where I live.

PaulFarber, I vaguely remember reading something about 6 mo. inspections but it was so long ago that I can't think of the details any more. From what little I do remember, that rule only applies to commercial big rigs.

Srjeeper

berserker

Hey all. I just acquired a deuce, will follow this post cause I'm sure this pertains to me. I've got it home and now need to follow you for inspection. Also anybody between Harrisburg-Reading, Philly-Reading would love to be able to either Pm or talk somehow. Don't mean to hijack this post but am afraid of doghead dressing me down cause haven't been here long enough to figure all this out :roll: (searches, posting pics on recov. etc. etc.) much less asking incessant questions
Regards,
Mike

Srjeeper

Hey all. I just acquired a deuce, will follow this post cause I'm sure this pertains to me. I've got it home and now need to follow you for inspection. Also anybody between Harrisburg-Reading, Philly-Reading would love to be able to either Pm or talk somehow. Don't mean to hijack this post but am afraid of doghead dressing me down cause haven't been here long enough to figure all this out :roll: (searches, posting pics on recov. etc. etc.) much less asking incessant questions
Regards,
Mike

Dave at Eastern Surplus can answer any questions you have regarding your deuce, Pa. inspection regs. etc...

As far as DH, his bark is worse than his bite.....rofl;-)

Akicita

SrJeeper:
Bill, thank you for your post and links.
Dave is with Eastern Surplus in S.E. Philadelphia.
I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Berserker:
Mike, looks like you joined Steelsoldiers at a good time.
No problem with "highjacking". We're all here to learn from one another.

fireball

each county in Pa has a state trooper who is responsible for administering the PA state inspections stations and all the mechanics assigned to that inspection station. If you talk to them nicely they will suggest what you should do. Most inspection mechanics will bend the rules and laws to fit the situation as long as it doesn't come back to haunt them. Remember a PA inspection mechanic inpection number is his drivers liscence and if there is a problem, they yank it and he is out of work. Would you jepordize your livilhood to bend a rule or break a law. The PA inspection system is very arcne and can be as cumbersome as the Army SOP's. By law, that mechanic should have issued you a rejection notice when he turned you down for lights, of course that rejection notice forces you to correct the situation within ten days. The state troopers hate when somebody issues a rejection notice because it forces them to come out and make sure that you got it fixed. It is a paperwork nightmare that very few people know about. Keep asking around, you will find someone that will do a legitmate inspection on it.

Akicita

Fireball,
Thanks for your detailed response. How come a man from North Dakota knows he regulations in Penna. so well ? I have gone to South Dakota in the summer for years but I don't know the regs. up there. :)
The mechanic did not reject the truck. I rejected him. He never inspected it. I had just driven the truck to his shop last night when I saw a door was still open. I walked over, found him, and we talked casually for a while. Then we walked over to the truck and that's when he saw my standard MV lights, and that's when he started to see problems where I did not. So, I explained my view on things and left with the truck. He understands I want to keep this truck looking like an MV and check what options I have. We parted on friendly terms.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regards,
Mike

Good thing the OP mentioned the hijacking was OK in post# 12 . I was about to Waterboard you for that one...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks