• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Packing Bearings

zeisshensoldt

This would be my first attempt at packing bearings, so I purchased a "Lisle bearing packer" to help me do the job. At this point I'm not at all certain if I'm doing it properly or if the device is even working right.

Attachments

ryan77

I never use them contraptions i pack them by hand old school way! Like my old man showed me!!!

trooper632

I always clean out all the old grease first in a parts washer just to make sure if there is any crud in there it is washed out then repack with all new grease.

ODdave

The bearing is in the packer correctly and is packed in the pic. You still need to cover the outside of the bearing with grease.
They work better if the larger opening on the cage is where the grease is entering..... It will work the way it is but works better the other war (Not as messy)

phil2968

It is supposed to come out the bottom. If you look at pic the grease as come from between the rollers at the bottom, just like it should.
I use this same type packer on a weekly basis when I service the wheel bearings on the trailers that are under our towable pumps.

phil2968

They work better if the larger opening on the cage is where the grease is entering..... It will work the way it is but works better the other war (Not as messy)
Unless the inner race contacts the packer preventing the grease from entering the bearing. Depends on the bearing. It will always work the way he as it in the pic.

bearboley

Hand pack for sure. Take a big palm full of grease without the glove on and work into the bearing between the retainer and the race the needles run on with a upwards motion squeezing the grease into the bearing until you are clear around it. Work the grease from the inside out. Apply a liberal amount to the outside of the rollers. You have a properly packed bearing.

ODdave

All though I have never seen or had that happen I suppose it anything is possible.

Guess its tomato tamato.......

I like the other way because its cleaner.

F18hornetM

I love debates, LOL here is one for you,
I dont wash the bearings unless they are nasty, like real nasty. Why wash out out all the old grease..just push it out with new grease. It gets most of it out and if you dont dry real well after washing out the bearings, you will get a soupy grease packing job. So, bottom line unless full of mud, its not getting washed. I also rotate the bearing as I'm packing it.
At my shop ay home I pack by hand, at work we have a bearing packer that fits on a 35 gallon pail of grease. One pump and bearing is packed. either way works just fine.

Last edited:

ryan77

I clean them in the parts washer then a final of brake clean, Pack them by HAND!! Thats the ryan77 approved way!!

ODdave

This will turn into a 10 page debate!!!LOL:p
YUP !!! lol

Either way, no matter how your doing it as long as your getting clean new grease packed between the rollers and not just on the outside your doing it right.

Like Ryan said, I always wash them. Who knows WTH is crammed in that cage. Personal preferance.

Last edited:

bearboley

I love debates, LOL here is one for you,
I don't wash the bearings unless they are nasty, like real nasty. Why wash out out all the old grease..just push it out with new grease. It gets most of it out and if you don't dry real well after washing out the bearings, you will get a soupy grease packing job. So, bottom line unless full of mud, its not getting washed.
I will debate, why not. I think you have a good point, if it has metal shavings in it or real funky I would not put t in the parts washer either. Solvent tends to remove grease so if there not real dry it becomes sloppy for sure.

phil2968

I wash the bearings to inspect for pitting and wear. After you wash you dry the bearings. I have washed the grease out of bearings and the rollers fell out of the cage, the bearing was worn out. I also remove the old grease from the hub.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks