• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Padded dash repair?

Keith_J

Sure, why not? I am using a Permatex Vinyl/Leather repair kit http://www.permatex.com/component/virtuemart/permatex--vinyl---leather-repair-kit-detail for the final cosmetic fix but years of sun and heat shrunk it to create huge canyons...not having flexible polyurethane foam, I elected to use a water-based exterior paintable caulk, in clear. This is filling the canyons, then the edges will be dressed smooth before a thin layer of the vinyl cement as a bonding agent for the grain+color patching compound which is heat cured through grain paper to match.

I had this kit on hand along with the caulk so there is no real expense, other than time. The first one is going good, only problem is the weather is slowing the cure of the caulk. Shrinkage of the caulk as it cures also means multiple applications. The caulk remains flexible and is exterior rated so no worries there.

I will probably need a lot more of the patching compound. Another kit would also net more grain paper so the entire length of crack could be cured in one fell swoop, if I can wrest the iron from the wife's hands :razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks