• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pagosa Springs Co to Houston Tx.

Sirblissfull

Ok the end of July I am going to be driving my M820A2 to Houston TX from Pagosa Springs Colorado.

I will be passing through Cuba NM, to drop off some stuff for a friend of mine on August 1st then wandering my way down to Houston.

There are a couple variations of the route I can take, due to slow speeds I want to use smaller highways and stay off the interstate as often as possible.

I was thinking of hitting Santa Rosa, Ft Sumner, Lubbock and Abilene anyone along that way able to offer support in case a break down or want to meet up for a burger?

CanonNinja

I made an almost identical trip from Aztec NM back here. I ended up coming through Amarillo, Fort Worth and down I-45.... Drive wasnt too bad, I-40 was empty when I came through, and most of the truckers were accommodating to my 55 top speed.

I can say though, that the drive though Lubbock and Abilene is a God-forsaken one, and very limited resources in between cities/fuel stops.

I made the drive straight through, 31 hours total. We were awake for 44 hours by the time we got back to Houston, but it was a **** of an experience

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind that a ton of the small roads in TX are still 70mph speed limits. Just because it's a back road doesn't mean folks won't be roaring up on your six at a high rate of speed.

If you come through the San Antonio area I'd be glad to meet up or help out if needed.

runk

Ditto on the God-forsaken part !
Also a new definition of hot.
Remember that the speed limit on even 2 lane state highways is 70, or in some places out west 75, and a lot of people are driving 5-10 over. Good news is that they should be able to see you up ahead about 40 miles out ! With the deuce, I try and keep to the four lane state highways, and prefer the interstates over the 2 lanes. I don't think you'll need to worry much about rural traffic until you get east of I-35.
Let us know if you want to meet up once you get here to Houston.

Sirblissfull

I normally drive 5 or so under even in my normal vehicles I have noticed that people in Texas can get a bit hot under the collar when they come roaring up behind me.

I am not really in a hurry, I prefer the small towns to interstate driving. I want to do most of my driving at night to avoid the 105 plus temps. Maybe it would be easier if I coasted along interstates but with a full load of tools and the manuals a break down is just a matter of parts availability. Heck I have a hunting cabin on wheels if I had a genny to power the AC in the box I would be set.

Barrman

I would second the 287/I-45 route suggestion. Mainly because that is where the big trucks normally run, truck stops are there with 24 fuel and food.

However, if you are getting to Abilene. Sermis is in Temple and I am in Giddings. Kind of a stair step down to Houston.

OL AG '89

I'm at the tail end of the trip so if you need any turn around assistance give me a shout.
located in Kingwood North end of Houston on IH-59N.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Sirblissfull

The wife has family down this way she wanted to spend some time with them for some reason.

Since I needed a RV conversion done I contacted some of the shops in the area and I am taking her by to see what kind of estimate I can get. I also plan on doing some fishing in the Gulf while I am here.

I will update the thread again closer to the departure date and finalize my travel route accordingly. I have driven the route several times both ways 287 to I 45 and the route I am planning on taking in the last 2 years. I have both of them memorized and know which stations have the room for a big truck to pull in.

I even have the wife check online to see which fuel stops have cheaper fuel before I leave on the trip. I always hate filling up then seeing fuel cheaper a mile down the road. Driving more then a few miles out of the way is a waste but a penny saved and all.

I am currently in Houston if any of the locals want to meet up PM me. I am flying back to pick up my 5 ton later.

Last edited:

OL AG '89

Didn't see you had edited....
You make the trip down or did you fly in ???
I'm confused

With the edit it doesn't update notification that something is added to thread...

Sirblissfull

We drove down with the family, we have little ones so we used the SUV to transport them.

I am flying back up to drive the 5 ton down end of the month, when we head north we will just convoy.

JAYHAWK 1962

Ditto on the lack of facilities. Not too bad if you stay along i 40. If for some reason you go i25 south from albuquerque there is a stretch of about 240 miles with no filling stations. Just a couple of rest areas. Pm me if you want my phone # may or may not be able to help. Located 30 miles east of albuquerque on i40. Have a Great trip kyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks