• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint and Primer

tourus

OK. This is not realy a how to question. this a question OF. I just bought 2gallons of CARC Paint form sherwin-williams.and primer. The question is? Is this stuff really worth the money spent?? although not big money about the same as any good auto paint and primer $ 325.00 shipped to door step. I guess what I am really asking what if any advantaged is it useing carc over high quality auto paint. will this last longer or not "with proper prep and blabla" ??? I guess I am looking to make my 1010 last as long as posible from rust and what not . living in snow belt things rust period. But I would spent good money on good paint to make it last as long as posibly.Iif there was a paint to end all painting no matter what i looked like I would use it.so how good is carc agaist rust and road chemicals does any body have long term use. the trck is a Daily Driver and plows alot in winter and used every snow storm.

ghud

Well if you can afford it, then yes it will stand up to the elements for a longer period of time when compared to a substitute, probably 2X times. That being said, if rust prevention is your main concern, then the time and money spend on rust prvention would serve you better then a premium paint job/quality product. Just my .02

soule64

I did a quick 180 grit sand, hit with some leftover primer sealer from another project, and shot it with a gallon of Sherwin WIlliams green CARC and a cheapie HF gun. I got lucky though - I got the paint for $40 a gal because the shelf life had expired the month before. Got all three colors, but decided to leave it green.

Attachments

tourus

well I don't know If I could afford it or not but I saved for 2years to buy it then reseached what I wanted then ordered it got the paint sitting on the table now will be a few weeks before on the truck but it was an after thought to ask how it will stand uo to road salts and other chemicals the state puts on the roads.I am in the procce of painting the frame and under the cab with serwin-williams KEM-Bond HS gray primer now. so when that is done I will be Pianting the rest of the cab. with the carc. There is one quick question is this stuff ready to use out of can to spray or does it have to be thinned the CARC.sounds thin in the can and the spec sheet does not really say. my cusion is going to paint it he is a body guy. has a shop and and a booth to do that stuff. HEY has any one ever done a reverse camo green on black?? is there any pics?? or can someone photo crop it for me to see how it will look but keep in mind it is onlt the cab I have a flat bed to go on the truck when finished.

CPAPPY

paint

What type of CARC paint are you using . And yes it will hold up. Just make sure you shake the paint at least 3 time to get the high solid pigment mixed, Some paints you mix with water and catalyst.

135gmc

The best paint you can find can be defeated by poor metal prep, or rusting through the inner panels. Spray the inside of your doors, front panels, cargo box, and everything you can find with a rust preventive that will penetrate into the corners and joints. Undercoating isn't as big a business as it was back in the '70-80's, but the stuff smelled a whole lot like Cosmolene. If you can't find any Cosmolene, maybe something like LPS-3. If you just paint the outside, you might find that you have paint, but no steel...

tourus

since it is only the cab geting painted everything is get paint. I do know that proper preperation is key a any paint job.the inner doors and fenders are getting spayed with red oxide primer and under the cab the best I can do with spay can and brush.and is going to get painted as well . I am going to pull out all the pug and spay something in there but don't knot what yet . does anybody know what the mil spec under coating used is . I am goint to stay away from oils .motor trans ect. what is that comolene that you mention and where and how much is it .some thing is getting spayed in there with a wand and pulle out as it spays but dont know what yet.

SteveKuhn

"....the inner doors and fenders are getting spayed with red oxide primer and under the cab the best I can do with spay can and brush..."

I don't know if I'm just reading your post wrong, but it seems that you intend to prime and move on. That's a mistake.

Primer's purpose is to bond and provide a gripping surface for the finish coat. It's porous and moisture passes through. You must apply a finish coating to prevent rust.

If you haven't done so, look into POR-15. It's hideously expensive, a pain to work with, and gets rave reviews for rust prevention. It can be top coated in other colors.

I have CARC from a rebuild on my 101A3. The best testimonial I can give it is that I can walk on it and not mar the surface. If the surface isn't marred, moisture can't get through to rust the metal.

Steve

tourus

I am sorry YES I am going to put paint on it . but I will say that the red oxide I am useing I have put on some other stuff and never did get to paint it and it has not rusted 5-6 years ago . but not the subject of this thread. anyway I am looking to just get the best for money. I do think out of box alot. dont always just buy what ever is out there in auto world. I know I have way more paint than I need so I will be coating as much as possible with the paint.frame, under cab, inner fenders ect.but the industreal word has alot of great products if one takes time to research and is willing to ask alot of questions.like just for instands if I could go back intime and get 5 gallons of the old red lead primer that I seen used in the navy. I would put that on my truck and then put the hase gray paint on it. if it holds up to salt water like it does then it would hold up to any road chemicals use,But that was a while ago.any way so I am looking to make the truck last as long as prossible. love the truck plan on haveing it many many years. So I am still looking for some Ideas on what to spay in to all the holes that are put into the truck.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can still get the 'old red lead'...IF you have the permits...and they are NOT easy to come by nowadays! Us regular guys are out of the pic on this!
Have you looked at the International Marine paints? Homepage - AkzoNobel Marine & Protective Coatings - International Paint
Their under and top coatings are really nice and hold up well to the marine environment, especially the Interthane 990 series and the Intertuff 262 primer.
Ben Moore makes some nice coatings as well, just not well heard of.

Good luck with your project!

dstang97

I did a quick 180 grit sand, hit with some leftover primer sealer from another project, and shot it with a gallon of Sherwin WIlliams green CARC and a cheapie HF gun. I got lucky though - I got the paint for $40 a gal because the shelf life had expired the month before. Got all three colors, but decided to leave it green.
That truck is so sexy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks