• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint Color Markings and Camouflage for an M1101

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the TB-43-0209 with a date of 31 Oct 1990. I've used it to layout the paint for my M998. I recently got an M1101 trailer, but I don't see that in the document.

Is there an existing tailer in the document I should use as a reference, or is there an M1101 specific camo pattern somewhere?

Thanks!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sure there is an official camo pattern for that trailer. Until you can find one, though, you might want to look on the Internet, particularly GovPlanet, for pictures to use as a template. There definitely have been camo M1101s/M1102s sold. Sorry I can't help more.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found some recent photos from a GovPlanet auction that seems to have everything I'll need to paint my trailer properly.

Does anyone have any idea how many of the Rapco cans this may take? (Black/Green/Brown), otherwise I'll gave to take a guess based on the HMMWV's needs. (This SHOULD be less.)

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a lot of surface area on that trailer. And dont forget the underside. I would guess 12-16 cans for a green base coat. And another 6-8 cans of brown and black. Maybe more black if you touch up the rims and tires. I just touched up my M1101 tires and rims and that took almost a full can. All of this is just my best guess so YMMV. But please post pics before and after.

Last edited:

Ray70

Not sure if you have the ability or not, but I've done a lot of generator repainting and typically I would buy the green Gillespe 383 green in bulk ( qts, and gallons ) from Rapco parts and spray it with a spray gun, you can get a cheap HVLP spray gun for $25 on line ( can also use a cheap airless sprayer if you don't have a large enough air compressor). Then I would use the brown Rapco spray cans and black rust-oleum high heat from home depot ( $5 a can instead of $14 for Rapco ) for the black. paint everything green, then make negative stencils out of corrugated cardboard to cover the green and expose only the brown, then lastly add more stencils to cover green and brown with just black areas exposed.
Do not tape off the areas you want to mask with paper outlined with masking tape because that leaves a sharp crisp line between colors and looks a little stupid, you're really looking for a slightly fuzzy edge between colors, which the corrugated cardboard stencils recreates nicely.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I repainted my HMMWV with Rapco rattle cans.. came out great, and easy to touch up. I plan to do the same with the M1101, however rapco's website seems to be horrible broken right now.

It took about 14 or so cans (of various colors) to do the HMMWV outside and cargo bed.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well using some pictures from the Govplanet auctions, I repainted my M1101 today.

Timelaps of it, took me about 5 1/2 hours to prep and paint it all. I did the inside of the box 383 Green, outside the 3 color camo pattern.

Rapco Paint

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks