• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint cost

donquijote

I was wondering if anyone who has had their m998 blasted to bare metal and repainted stock, could share what it cost. I wouldn't mind having a rough idea before i have it done and get prices. Thx.

aleigh

I can't really answer your question but perhaps you will find it helpful to know I bought WD Carc II for $170 a gallon last year. Min qty was 4 gallons on the order. If your truck has an original CARC job and unless you have significant surface rust, IMO, you are better not going down to the metal. Clean and scuff the factory paint, deal with any particular rust spots (take it down to the metal and then run a sealing primer on those areas) then just go over the whole thing with CARC again. CARC sticks to CARC so your old paint will save you having to do a sealing primer. I do my painting myself but my general impression is most of the money of painting is in the labor, not the materials.

riggermedic

I have a buddy that I helped do a test on his suburban. He replaced 2 doors. One was prepped as if he was going to shoot it with automotive paint, the other he just scuffed and shot with behr premium exterior paint. Search for the paint codes federal standard. He took it out to the desert and put some good Arizona pin striping on it and I can't see a difference. I was very impressed. Granted it's new so durability over time will tell, but if you are willing to sandblast down to metal then first try a scuff and shoot. At worst it's just one more layer to remove. I do not know if aluminum/fiberglass vs steel sheet metal will change the adhesion?
he did have one deep scratch that took the automotive paint down to metal before the test door, did not peel the test door (obvious scratch) then back to metal after the test door. This was on the fully prepped side.
i have to say I am a fan.
hope this helps:D

donquijote

I had an M923A2 sandblasted to bare steel and repainted with milspec CARC. Work was performed by H&H exotic coatings in Tulsa. Total cost was under $3k. It took 4 gallons of CARC.
Under 3k, wow. I would not have guessed that low. That was even with all the teardown labor?
I was wondering if anyone who has had their m998 blasted to bare metal and repainted stock, could share what it cost. I wouldn't mind having a rough idea before i have it done and get prices. Thx.
I can't really answer your question but perhaps you will find it helpful to know I bought WD Carc II for $170 a gallon last year. Min qty was 4 gallons on the order. If your truck has an original CARC job and unless you have significant surface rust, IMO, you are better not going down to the metal. Clean and scuff the factory paint, deal with any particular rust spots (take it down to the metal and then run a sealing primer on those areas) then just go over the whole thing with CARC again. CARC sticks to CARC so your old paint will save you having to do a sealing primer. I do my painting myself but my general impression is most of the money of painting is in the labor, not the materials.

infidel got me

You have to be careful when sandblasting a m988 as not to etch the surface. They have a paint removal system now that uses dry ice that will not hurt the surface, but I've heard it is pricey. On the up side you wont have all that sand or media to deal with when trying to paint it (no matter how hard you try it seems you never can clean out all the left over sand) As mentioned earlier, I would sand the rough areas down, seal with epoxy primer if down to bare metal and just paint over existing carc. After all it is a mv not a barret- Jackson trailer queen! Happy shootin'

donquijote

haha, I agree with the Barret Jackson statement! But I am going to sell this one, so for my own sanity I would rather sell a car that had all the prior crap removed even if i know the buyer plans to destroy it, lol. I got off the phone a minute ago with a blasting company that estimated 2 - 2.5k with me bringing it torn down. Which parts on the M998 are fiberglass?

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never sand blast this truck...you have NO way of acid washing and applying alodine to the panals once it's gone.
aluminum starts to oxidize immediately when not chemically treated.
Do as other have suggested, leaving the original paint as a base primer, the factory paint has been applied correctly and is hard as a rock....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks