• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint for Deuce

Mcbob

Ok, I'm wanting to know, so I can repaint all my vehicles the same color, what is the paint code for the OD green the army uses for their vehicles. What I wish to do, is repaint my trucks, both pickups, and possibly even the trailers I use, OD green. if someone would please help me out on this I'd appreciate it.

rdixiemiller

I just ordered some 383 green CARC from Sherwin Williams. The paint number is F93G504, $71.60 a gallon. The catalyst is V93V502, $82 a gallon. The stuff mixes 2:1, so 2 gallons of base and 1 gallon of catalyst will yield 3 gallons mixed. This is the current 2K waterborne CARC, so you will need a good respirator and paint suit. The stuff has a fairly low pot life, so mix small batches, whatever you can spray in 45 minutes.

Mcbob

Thanks, I think I'll just buy it when I can afford it ,and spray it on as soon as possible from what you're telling me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been using the Gillespie paint for a while. It's an alkyd enamel so it won't last as long but I've had it appleid for a couple of years here in the FL sun and its done well. By the time you figure hazmat and shipping fees its about $35 a gallon when you buy a case of 4 gallons. "383" green is the color used in the woodland 3 color NATO pattern.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget that the post office will ship your paint up to 1 gallon/package WITHOUT hazmat charge. All you have to do is get the seller to go to the post office and that may be a problem in some cases. The USPS has excellent service these days, Priority mail, Global Priority etc. Put a tracking number (delivery confirmation) on you package and it gets cross country in record time.

red devils dude

rdixiemiller said:
I just ordered some 383 green CARC from Sherwin Williams. The paint number is F93G504, $71.60 a gallon. The catalyst is V93V502, $82 a gallon. The stuff mixes 2:1, so 2 gallons of base and 1 gallon of catalyst will yield 3 gallons mixed. This is the current 2K waterborne CARC, so you will need a good respirator and paint suit. The stuff has a fairly low pot life, so mix small batches, whatever you can spray in 45 minutes.
damn my dealer wants $136 for a gal of paint and $40 for a quart of catalyst(this is the sherwin-williams Chemical Coatings dealer).

rdixiemiller

I have a commercial account through where I work. I also ordered in case qty. (4/1 gal). The best thing???
FREE!
Sherwin Williams is bidding some paint business with me in the automotive tier 1 industry, so the rep is sending it to me free.
He scrounged up 8 gallons of base, 4 gallons of catalyst.
The price they gave me would probably be for 100 gallon lots.

If you are looking at the same part numbers as I was, you will need 2 quarts of catalyst per gallon of paint.

Jones

Just a tip or two on using CARC paints beyond the short pot life and "use a respirator" warnings. CARC paint, until very recently (the newest version uses polymer micro-beads), has had silica (ground quartz), cristobolite, chromium and some other pretty abrasive stuff in it for the texture part of the low IR signature properties. Not only are these items hard on yer bod - they're hard on your spray rig. Plan on replacing orifice tips and valve parts about twice as frequently. It's suggested that the filter on the pick-up tube be removed so that the texture isn't filtered out so all that grit means miserable clean-up too. We've taken to buying cheap, throw-away guns and keeping them CARC use only.
For a source for the paint, you might also check out Hentzen Coatings.
Best, Jones

rdixiemiller

In my line of work, we spray a lot of abrasive metallics. We use stainless steel needles and tips, and replace them every 6 months. This stuff would be really hard on an airless rig, the pump seals and guns would take a beating.
The Graco Delta Spray is a great gun for this application. It has a replaceable needle tip ($8 piece of nylon) that keeps them running almost forever. You can get them in pressure feed, gravity, and suction. The DeVilbiss gun is really great as far as a nice finish, but the needles and fluid tips are fragile and require frequent replacement.
I am going to use my pressure pot setup and one of my Graco guns when I paint my deuce.
MCLB Albany uses a Fluidics 2K mixing system. It has to have pump seals every 6 months, but holds up well. They tried the Graco Precision Mix units, but they couldn't take the abrasives. They spray over 1000 gallons per month per booth, so their equipment takes a beating.

3pp1945

I AM A NEW GUY! Can anyone give me the non carc color codes and where to buy them. I just have a normal home spray unit. I am looking for all three colors.
Thanks
scott:-D

Iron7

I wanted to chime in with my experiences with the Sherwin Williams paint. I found out that our local paint shop on Ft. Sam Houston is using the waterborne version of the CARC paint so, I went to my local SW store and inquired, they also said it was around $80 a gallon and the catalyst is extra! Ouch I said and they looked in the back and sold me some that was past the expiration date for $39 a gallon, it worked fine and I used water to clean up but, make sure it's still wet when you clean up! Using the right catalyst or, part B is critical in using the waterborne version, use the wrong type and it blisters!
Long ago when I was living in California I used regular latex house paint to paint my M-35 Deuce, it came out perfect! And, it lasted a long time in the sun! There are so many tricks and ideas you can use to do the job, just depends on what you decide. I'm sure everyone will agree with me that avoiding the CARC that is the older type is dangerous to your health and using a milder paint is better. Hope that helps friend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks