• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint "freshening up"

iluvbudwsr

I know this has been touched on a few times but nothing seems to work. I used the search function and saw where some people use WD-40 to freshen up their paint. I tried this method and was not pleased at all. My truck is painted solid CARC green and the drivers side is really blotchy. Obviously you can't use wax so what are you guys using to bring the color out? Repainting is not an option right now.

Hasdrubal

I've wondered about this also. After 8 years, its looking a little faded. Particularly the green fades to a whiter shade. Thought about using something to burnish the top layer off. Not really sure what the best product would be yet. Seems like when I wash it, after accumulating 6 months dirt, aggresively with a coarse rag it tends to buff off some of the oxidization. The tops of my fenders are darker green from working on it all the time.

Last edited:

iluvbudwsr

I have the same problem. Washing it doesn't seem to help anything at all as far as the paint goes. I just use my garden hose anymore to wash it off because using a brush with detergent seems to make it worse. I was reading an article where the Huey gunship pilots in Vietnam would wipe their whole helicopter down with motor oil just to clean it. I may try this with some 10W-20 in a small spot just to see if it works unless someone can chime in here and give some more ideas. I don't know if acrylic or enam clear coat would solve this problem due to the simple fact that it may not stick to the CARC or Gillespe paint most people use. It may just run right off with the first good rain shower. I was also thinking about those shoe shine kits you can buy with that "mink oil" but I just down know...Sounds like you're in the same boat as me...I gotta do something because we have a military truck show coming up soon and I can't take it looking like this.

SgtSnorkel

I use Armor all , wash like normal (hose off dirt may be use car wash soap & sponge or brush) let air dry , a leaf blower helps speed up drying. Then spray on Armor all and let it sit a little bit , (try not to do it in the sun or get any on windows , most times I don't do the roof because when it rains the windows will get streaky ) hose off and let air dry . Some times I will go back and use a rag wet with Armor all for touch ups .

Last edited:

nattieleather

Just leave the paint alone...the fading shows it's an old salt so to speak. Then when you actually can have it repainted use a good grade of paint.

cpf240

My wife has a coworker who drove CUCVs when he was in the service. Before inspections, VIP visits, etc, they were told to wipe the CUCVs down with diesel to make them presentable.

I have not tried this myself.

M-35A3

I found out by accident that WD-40 or kroil makes the color deeper on carc . I sprayed some on a rag and rubbed it into the paint and its still nice after about 6 months .

Last edited:

mudman

I have the same problem. Washing it doesn't seem to help anything at all as far as the paint goes. I just use my garden hose anymore to wash it off because using a brush with detergent seems to make it worse. I was reading an article where the Huey gunship pilots in Vietnam would wipe their whole helicopter down with motor oil just to clean it. I may try this with some 10W-20 in a small spot just to see if it works unless someone can chime in here and give some more ideas. I don't know if acrylic or enam clear coat would solve this problem due to the simple fact that it may not stick to the CARC or Gillespe paint most people use. It may just run right off with the first good rain shower. I was also thinking about those shoe shine kits you can buy with that "mink oil" but I just down know...Sounds like you're in the same boat as me...I gotta do something because we have a military truck show coming up soon and I can't take it looking like this.
Use a rag with Diesel fuel on it. Works good is cheap and is stain reistant. First application will use a little fuel and after that just a light wipe will get it done.

iluvbudwsr

I've tried the WD-40 and wasn't pleased at all with the outcome. I'll try the Armorall in a few spots just to see how it performs and if it's not up to par I'll try the diesel. At this point, stinking Armorall is cheaper than diesel anyways...lol
I'll update this thread once I find something and test a few of the products mentioned. Thanks for the tips everyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks