• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint from Rapco Parts

Flyingvan911

Rapco is good people but hard to get ahold of. Shipping to Poland looks expensive!!! Maybe someone here can buy a can and paint a little piece of metal or wook and send it to you. Then a paint shop there can take a sample and match it. That would be way cheaper.

jimm1009

I could send him one of Mark's new spray cans and he could have that matched but I think that he does want the 4 gallon kit.

We'll see what Mark says in the AM.

jimm1009

Dudek

I hope that forest green from Rapco is paint identical to the original. So I want this product.

P.s.

Do you have good pictures of your MV with this paint?

SteveKuhn

Anybody try Army Jeep Parts Inc. Home page. Same paint, same numbers, no?

BTW: I spent a little time w/ our shipping people trying to figure out what's involved w/ shipping paint to Poland. We bumped into lots of words about EU hazmat regs and the like, and it would likely HAVE to go on a ship because of IATA regs.

Steve

jimm1009

He prefers land & sea method anyway but thanks. I ran into the same similar readings.

I am just about to give up on Mark. Surely there is someone answering the phones while he is out IF he is out.

jimm1009

3dAngus

They respond to orders very very quickly and get them out.

They don't respond to telephone calls or emails quickly, sometimes not at all, with no return reply or phone call if you leave a message. Don't know why. It presents a problem with a need for overseas shipping quote for delivery. Regrets.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never had a problem with orders...................no luck with anything else.

SteveKuhn

SS sent me a notice of this post from Dudek but I don't see it on the site:

"I read that he sends orders. My friend from the U.S. (Chicago) can order this paint. I chose the option 4 gallons. Price 165$ it's all costs for paint and shipping? Enyone know? Is the paint is good? Write me. Dudek"

The $165 is domestic US. Army Jeep Parts has similar pricing. It is for domestic US. You'd need to add international shipping and hazmat. That is going to be the greatest cost and most complicated because you have to deal with both US and EU hazmat regulations. Paint weighs about 10 lbs/gallon so 40 lbs for 4 gallons. You can use that to get a freight quote.

The Gillespie paints are very popular and have lots of people endorsing them here. Just be sure which of the 3 Marine greens you really want. Don't trust your computer to be displaying them properly. When I was selecting paint, I actually bought at least 1 spray can of each possible color and tested them. They appear much different in person.

I think you'd be wise to accept the offer to have some test sprays mailed to you to make the choice. Who knows? Maybe somebody local can match what you like once you have the proper sample.

Steve

Last edited:

jimm1009

I am formerly giving up on RAPCO for this mission.

I just spoke with the only other distributer for this brand of paint
who is Army Jeep Parts in the New England area of the USA.

The cost of shipping 4 gallons of paint to Europe is upwards of $1,000 US dollars and therefore cost prohibitive.

They will mail paint chips to Chris at no charge but as far as acquiring the paint it is too much, or at least that is my opinion.

I will e-mail him directly too.

jimm1009
07 FEB 12 @ 14:20 central

SteveKuhn

One last thought: Does Gillespie have a European distributor that would simplify and cheap-i-fy this? They don't make it easy to contact them but Google has a phone number for them in TX.

Steve

jimm1009

I called the company in Texas and they only have two distributers for the military paint and they are both in the US. RAPCO & Army Jeep Parts.

They do not know of anyone in Europe that could help but as Chris noted there are a few companies that advertise paint for MVs.
If this is true then it will help all of our European members at one time or another.
There is one English company that I received an e-mail from but they will not ship outside of England due to the hazmat fees. They don't want the expense and the hassle.

jimm1009

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pretty much given up on Rapco for this as well. If it isn't sales you don't get a response of any kind.

Dudek should have all the info he needs at this point, albeit not good news but at least there may be alternatives over there.............

135gmc

MIL-STD TT-595 lists the color data for every military color. Check this out, and it should give enough data that a paint maker could work from the color requirements. Also, the US forces in Europe during the cold war got paint from someplace, so there might be a European source. Try the big US military paint suppliers to see if they have European offices that can mix what is needed - try PPG, Sherwin Williams, DuPont. Another option might be water-based MIL paint -- check with MIL-SPRAY in NJ - I bought some of their paint and since it's non-flammable, it didn't need harardous shipping. Also, find out who supplies paint to the military in your area - chances are that they can mix a US color. Water-based CARC is expensive, but it's a lot cheaper than shipping solvent-based paint.

Dudek

I hope that all is ok!
Jimm1009 helps me.
He sent me chips with paints. And now I'm waiting for those
Chris

P.s.
Does anybody have completed frame for soft top? I don' t want to create a new thread.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks