• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint gun question

llong66

I am going to be painting my M1008 this summer. I have settled on the Rapco 383. My question is, would I be better off using something like Harbor Freigts airless set up, a regular paint gun or rattle can it? I worry about my compressor and a regular gun because where I live (central In) humidity can be an issue and getting water in the line. Also, I would guess I would want 2 gal just to be safe?

Thanks much,
Greg

FloridaAKM

As far as water in your air lines from the compressor, get a water separator/air dryer & install it coming out of your air compressor. That will eliminate the water problem. I'll let the professional painters here give you the rest of the information as for painting your truck.

llong66

The only air dryers I can find around here are the small caryrages with the color changi g desicant in them, Im afraid that wont be enough or Ill go through them like crazy!

Bill W

No state has more humidity than Florida and all I ever used was a little water separator and inline paper filters ( one at compressor and one at spray gun ) and never had a issue. If you only have a small compressor than I would use a "Internal mix" spray gun like this one http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/4328/name/Internal+Mix+Spray+Gun they require a lot less cfm to use and work fine with simple oil base paints.

dependable

Have sprayed a lot of Rapco, mainly on shipping containers though. 2 gallons should be more than enough, 1 gallon is probably not enough, if your going to paint inside of bed and all. With the Rapco, I use a cheep 2 quart HVLP (the kind with a separate tank & hoses). Be sure to mix and filter that paint with any type of gun, or your likely to get clogs.

18operator

016.jpgIf you are worried about the compressor and humidity, I would opt for the airless sprayer. You can also cut the Rapco 383 down with xylene.
4 parts paint to one part xylene. 2 gallons did my M35A2.

llong66

Thanks much for the help and advise, I have a large compressor that I always keep drained. I have two professional guns I got cleaning out a barn for the inlaws but I havent used them. Bill, I will do some looking, I have never seen inline paper filters. I know if the guns I have dont function well Ill go with one of the HF options.
18oporator, nice looking rig! I hope to get a M35 once Im done with my 08!

llong66

Bill, thanks much! I had only ever seen the ones I mentioned with the color changing desicant at the local HF. The link you posted mentiones the "wall mounted" filter. Do you know if they are refering to the two bowl oil/water seperator they have? If so have you used and had any luck w it? I tried buying a set of their ac manifold and gauges a cpl of years ago. I went through 3 sets, all which leaked in various places before I gave up and got a refund. Im kinda careful what I buy there! Lol Thanks again! I know what ya mean about humidity in FL my sister lives near Orlando and dont know how you all stand it! I used to live in SE Mt before I came back here, its high desert, more like the badlands, 11% humidity and lower sometimes, I loved it and it about killed me moving here getting used to it! Lol, Well thanks again!

Greg

Dieseljeeper

Eastwood sells a pretty good dryer and, as with most others they need to be mounted 25' from the compressor. What I did with mine was come off the compressor with a short 1" npt nipple, a 90, 5' of 1"npt pipe, another pair of 90s to a 10' section one more pair of 90s, another 10' section of pipe. 2 more 90s, a 4' section and plumbed into the dryer mounted to the wall. The dryer needs to be 25' from the compressor, it doesnt necessarily have to be in a straight line. It has worked well for mine, I also added a 1/4 turn valve in the u next to the floor closest to the dryer so I can drain the line before the dryer. It is basically is a squared off zig zag.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go for the $150 (after coupon) Harbor Freight airless sprayer or "Home Cheapo" Ryobi airless one when they go on sale. I've done a dozen trailers and many trucks and the system is perfect for these high surface area low pressure jobs. When I painted the M1008 I had it took me about 20 minutes (excluding prep) and I didn't have to stop to refill or anything.

http://www.harborfreight.com/airless-paint-sprayer-kit-60600.html

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/paint-station

2 gallons of Rapco's paint will make 2.5 gallons and should be enough for the job.

randygk

I tried the airless from HF and it didn't want to shoot Behr without thinning. So I used a pot with 6 ft hoses from HF and worked great. I had used it with the Rapco also -
Less stopping to fill, no angle worries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks