• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint job

Predator42

Thanks. I like how it turned out as well. Total cost was about $400. This is a paint and primer in one. It takes some getting used to, so do a test panel. You get one shot because you can't wet sand or buff out this type of paint. The hood is the most difficult. I had never painted with satin before so I was taking a big risk. I just took my time, painted it on my driveway early in the mornings before full sun. Took about 15 cans to complete. These cans have a nice fan spray pattern so I just overlapped each wet line making sure no dry spots were left. I ended up having to paint the hood 3 times before I got it acceptable. Anyway fwiw.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hood is the hardest....I usually have to apply 2-3 times before I get it covered just right. Any bare spot, even primed well just sucks up the paint and shows a light spot. That's why the epoxy primer works best....IMHO.

Predator42

Whats the story on the rear bar/canopy you got going on? Some kinda different soft top go over that?
The rear canopy/rack is designed to hold my kayak and give the truck a wagon look. I haven't decided what to cover it with. Ambulance top was too tall for my liking and would have required I use just that top. I will either skin it in metal, aluminum or canvas. I need to make sure it functions as I want it to so its in the R&D phase right now. I like the side access and the utility of strapping ratchet ties to it so I am not entirely sure if I want to add some loops and skin it or what. My goal is to get it water tight and holding heat for the winter as well as make something a lot more secure, so I think the canvas Idea is out.

Predator42

That's a spray can job?!? Wow looks good.
Thanks 941038. Yes it is a spray can job. I had never done a satin paint before so I am glad I got the results I did. I will say it looks good from afar, but far from good when up close. but that was my sheer lack of proper surface prep since this paint shows all flaws. for what it is though, it worked out.

tomelroy

you can sand blast aluminum at low psi with some media without warping, but if you remove the alodine coating, either by sand blasting or hand sanding, make sure you prime before you paint.. Paint doesn't stick to bare aluminum.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can sand blast aluminum at low psi with some media without warping, but if you remove the alodine coating, either by sand blasting or hand sanding, make sure you prime before you paint.. Paint doesn't stick to bare aluminum.

Of course you can...but you don't want too. You will regret it. Chemical strip....treat it like an airplane.
aluminum starts to oxidize immediately if not treated. And I can almost guarantee you that you would find a shop that can acid wash and alodine and entire truck.

rhinob

"Of course you can...but you don't want too. You will regret it. Chemical strip....treat it like an airplane.
aluminum starts to oxidize immediately if not treated. And I can almost guarantee you that you would find a shop that can acid wash and alodine and entire truck."

Haha....whoops - now I see this post. Yes - it's a plane shaped like a truck!

fllaw1

Thanks 941038. Yes it is a spray can job. I had never done a satin paint before so I am glad I got the results I did. I will say it looks good from afar, but far from good when up close. but that was my sheer lack of proper surface prep since this paint shows all flaws. for what it is though, it worked out.
What paint did you end up using the Satin Rust oleum ? Next do the trailer in black to match.

IMG_2590.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks