• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint on the 5 ton

Knucklehead

Texas That truck looks really sharp. It will make a nice addition to the station. Are you keeping the stock tires or are you going for a different tread pattern?

texas-5-ton

Thanks. I appreciate that. I am trying to convince Texas Forest Service that we need super singles but they are not buying it just yet..lol. We will probably keep the NDT's on there because they are cheap and easy to replace. The fire service is very hard on tires. We drive over just about anything that you can imagine. Cactus, Mesquite trees, and Locust thorn just to name a few..

Chad

texas-5-ton

These digital pics don't really do it much justice. This thing looks Kick A*s in person. Will, i have not replaced the parts or done any PM yet but am going to try this weekend. Thanks for the kind comments y'all.
chad

CloverFireCo

Looks real good chad. Our project truck should be showing up in the next few days, DCNR is providing us with a M-813A which will become our new brush unit.

We were discussing paint tonight and have not come up with a paint scheme yet. I like black over red but I might be overruled.

Are you going to be putting some brush guards onto that or are you doing mostly flat-lands. Ours will be getting a full compliment of pusher bumper, limb risers and guards around the sides to deal with PA woodland mountain region.

Also will be equiping it with a 600 gallon tank, pump, spray bar on the front, and if I can actually build it, a 1" remote control turret gun.

Chris

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now for the bed cover, make sure that you find someone that can do white canvas, like, find a guy who does sailboat sails. Then it would be PERFECT!

texas-5-ton

WillWagner said:
Woah Chad, That came out nice! How does it run?
The painter backed it out of his shop Tuesday evening and snapped these pics for me at his place.

It is 100% painted,tanks, roof and all. The only update pictures i have right this second is of the truck and roof. The tanks have been painted red and have been installed but no pics of them yet. Will try and get some tomarrow. WE brought it back to the station and put $500.00 dollars into PM work on it today. We changed every filter and every reservoir on this truck. We also changed the thermo. we ran and drained approx 100 gallons of water thru the radiator before getting all of the gunk out it. Radiator was NASTY !! Truck seems to run great.

hey CHRIS, most of our fire district is rolling prairie and grassland. We are putting 2 600 gallon tanks on ours. I have been thinking of skid plates and underbody protectors but have not come up with anything for sure. I saw a Truck down at Texas Forest Service that had a massive bumper on the front that the guy said that we could have but it was going to be a major ordeal to get it off of the other truck. send me some pics of your truck.Seriously consider implement paint for your truck. We spent over $1K just in dupont paint and Nason Sealer. I thought that $100 worth of International Harvestor red would have been just fine but i was also outvoted on that.

DesertDeuce, it will be used for wildland and brush fires, and for pulling the other departments 1 tons out of the mud :lol:

And last but not least hippie, we are using gold reflective letters with a black shadow. [thumbzup]

Chad

Attachments

CloverFireCo

Chad

Are you using those 600 gallon fuel cells? Oval things with 2 skids underneath. I have one for on ours, was thinking about 2 but that puts us real close to the 10,000 pound off road weight. Still will need to fit pump, piping, generator, and various other equipment on it also.

Terrain is a bit rougher up here, our last brush truck seen its demise on Gods front lawn, think he was upset I drove on his grass so he bent my steering rod so that my front tires pointed in differant directions. We got it off the mountain but did some serious damage to it. Was a prototype ARFFF airport crash truck originally, guess they don't keep parts for prototypes as I couldn't find the parts to fix it. Good thing though because now we move on the the 5-ton.

As far as paint, I was thinking just simple rustoleum. Not expensive, won't feel bad when it gets all scratched up, and easy enough to spay over all the scratches.

DCNR told me that they would be delivering it in the next three days two days ago, so hopes are high it will be here tomorrow.

Chris

texas-5-ton

Sounds great Chris. I bent the steering rod on our 93 F350 4x4 when i dropped the front end off in an open well on a grassfire at night. Luckily, we were both in the cab because we came to a stop RIGHT NOW !! Big Matt, who tips the scales at a whopping 365 and was riding with me at the time, busted the windshield with his head (bless his heart). Did a number on the windshield and I sure glad he wasnt mad at me..lol. And yes to your question, these are fuel pods. We are going to be overwight by 1,000 pounds if i have it figured right. Thats including the pump and 2 reels. Send us some pics of your truck.

Chad

texas-5-ton

OH YEAAAAH!!! Almost done !!

Check this out !!! She's getting closer. I went and ordered the decals on Friday. Decided to use white MILITARY block letters with a black shadow. BTW, we left the inside of this truck OD.I was also going to add that we cahnged the fuel filter on this thing and gained 5 MPH on top end with an end result of a whopping 59 MPH. Truck should be ready to fight fire by the end of March.

Urahhhhhh.

Chad

Attachments

M1075

RE: OH YEAAAAH!!! Almost done !!

Looks great Chad. Have you thought about a remote nozzle in the front? What kind of pump will you use?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks