• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint Prep work?

hoplite666

Im hoping to respray my m1009 before it starts getting cold out. Its a sorta "budget build" so my plan is to rattle can it with rapco paint.
As it sits now the factory carc has been painted over (possibly with more carc). However whatever the top coat is, it has been brushed/rolled on and its awfully thick. There are a few spots where the underlying carc is visible. Previous owner told me that his power washer was blowing the top layer off and he stopped after only doing a few areas.
I obviously want a smooth base before i rattle can it so id like to get back down to the underlying carc. Ive gone at the top coat with my electric pressure washer and had no success blasting anything off. Getting a stronger washer isnt an option so what would you guys suggest?
Light coat of the brush on air craft remover then power wash?
Go at with an orbital sander and keep at it til im down to the original camo?
Maybe a combination of both?
Thanks in advance

TacticalDoc

I'm doing my M923 with a wire wheel and wire brush in areas that are pealing or rusting only. Then priming over those areas needed. And finally putting external latex paint on with a roller and brush.

also if the rust is that bad and I cant get all of it off with the wire wheel I'm using rust converter then primer

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks