• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint Question

ssdvc

My truck was painted with Rapco Lusterless Navy Grey. What other types of flat or "lusterless" paint is out there and available for use? Primer absorbs water, so I want to use a real "top coat" paint.

Thanks.

zout

You can go to the Rapco web site and check out their vast paint color selections - they also have this broken down into year categories to make it easier. Good paint and I plan in using this for the M43B1 Ambulance once I am ready to paint it.

GPrez

I painted mine with paint I bought from Ebay. It's called Hot Rod Flatz paint and is sold by an ebay seller named TCP Global. I have bought several gallons of different paints they sell and never had an issue. If you type the word "Flatz Paint" in the search bar it will pop up. Mine is the Olive Drab Flatz and it looks great and shot on the truck great. It runs about $160 delivered and that includes the paint, hardener, and reducer.

tdfontaine

@SSDVC - do you have any pics that you can post of the 1009 in grey? I'm interested in a similar color and would be great if you have some pics you can share so I can get an idea of how it looks.

Thanks!

ssdvc

These are all I could get right now. Cell phone, but they give you a rough idea. I wanted a darker color, but this is what I received. Hoping to repaint a darker grey and do a grey and black camp theme.

Attachments

cucv1833

You can go to the Rapco web site and check out their vast paint color selections - they also have this broken down into year categories to make it easier. Good paint and I plan in using this for the M43B1 Ambulance once I am ready to paint it.
:ditto:
I painted my M-1009 and M-101 with Rapco rattle cans. It took me only 1-case to then both. Im happy with it.

zaxcucv

i went through this myself, you can flatten any paint by painting basecoat plus a flattened clearcoat. you can then block the basecoat as opposed to a regular flat which you cannot touch once you spray it. It should also hold up better. Picks are in my thread "m1009 bodywork begins" which is a flattened tcp global graphite gray.

forest522

I've never used the brand from Ebay, but have used the Rapco rattle can stuff. Works great for interior work and I've heard darn good for the exterior touch up stuff.

They also sell gallons for exterior work, the people I know in the NM area indicate that it holds up well but if left outside in the NM sun for a year or two it begins to fade.

As one can see from my avatar I haven't done the outside yet. Tan is on the way! Man, I need a big ole garage!

TXM1009

I am planning on painting mine with the rustoleum or krylon camo paints. Anyone know of any problems with either of them?

nattieleather

Like Zax said. Go to your automotive paint suppler in your town and find the color gray you want from their color samples. Then tell them you want to paint it flat. They will sell you a can of stuff that looks kind of like a thin vanilla milk shake (PPG brand was that way) and you mix that into the paint instead of the harnder. The paint will come out flat. I did that when I painted my M151A2 that I had. I used the PPG paint tinted to 34079 then the flatner instead of the hardner and it went on great and held up very well. The only thing is the cost of the paint, flatner and reducer I could have purchased and shipped a can of paint from Texas to Cleveland from Rapco and still had money left in my pocket. The next MV I did I used the Gillispie and was just as happy with it.

forest522

RE to TXM1009 -

I have used some Krylon and Rustoleum on some smaller parts and found slight variations in color. They are quality paints but, if you have a color in mind and will use the Tan or OD on your 1009 on most parts then you will save some $ by just buying a case of either from Rapco. The paint is very high quality and will be an exact match to their gallon-spray on type if you choose to paint the whole exterior.

I have not done this myself, but while on a work detail to Albuquerque, met several people who have and they're vehicles look great. Both OD and Tan. They have also said that the spray (not rattle can) was very forgiving when applied by the not-so-experienced sprayer - like I am!

TXM1009

Mobileauto2000 - It is looking great. I love that project and I've always loved the deuce since my first ride in one back in the day. I'm considering replacing the brown with the Tan color or possibly adding it and going to a four color. But haven't made up my mind yet.:-?