• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint questions

tburk49760

So I did due diligence thing and searched the forum pretty thoroughly, lots of comments, mostly vague not really sure what color I should paint it. Not super concerned with originality, mostly thinking of course it's got to be olive drab but thinking about durability as well. I'm sure these things were in-service from 53 which would be a Korean War type color all the way up until what, may be close to Vietnam era? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

emr

If you have an M35 A2, could have started out with a 24087 paint job from the factory, ( look in the glove box , and under the Brake fluid fill flap on the floor) That is Olive drab semi gloss, used through out Vietnam, Arvoe makes the best true match, gilespie is good too some guys sell that on this site, Arvoe darkens much nicer like the real 24087 over time, Earlier would not fit your deuce , You could also do a 4 color camo, or even a 3 , But If you want an older look, The 24087 with Stars is the way to go... Its just me but dont use house paint ..:( The hobby paints are easy to use, easy to get, and come in spray cans for the on the road touch ups, Good luck..

nattieleather

24087 is good. USMC Green looks good too. 4 color cammo and 3 Color cammo both look good and if your talking about the XM215 in cammo would be different and not often seen. I've never seen one painted in either of those color combos before.

Gunfreak25

If the vehicle is to be stored indoors away from sunlight, the original enamel oil based paint will do fine. However if it is to be stored outside, I'd HIGHLY recommend using the Behr series of paints that you can find a multitude of posts on here on the forum. I painted mine over a year ago with the Behr matched 24087, it is still the exact same shade as it was the day I sprayed it. The fender however which was sprayed with Aervoe (oil based enamel) has faded and chalked out on me. Pretty disappointed, but highly pleased with the Behr and am very glad I decided to spray 3 gallons of it instead of the Aervoe.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay away from the obnoxious solid colors. I have the corner on that right now.

Seriously, I like the Canadian 3 color, but give it an US pattern. The black areas are just too big. Two greens and a little less black would be perfect.

I have not seen anyone go with a digital pattern. Start cutting masking tape squares.

PS. Look to the left before you cross the US highway, not after you get 1/2 way.

Attachments

Last edited:

nattieleather

I don't think digital will corsipond to a vehicle very well. I would think on a GMC that the squares would have to be something like 4x4 or 6x6 inch squares? Plus you still need a pattern to follow.

Oh you could do something like uban cammo (is that 50 Shades of Gray? :lol:) [sorry] Or do something like you see people wearning that are shades of red and pink cammo.....just saying.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks