• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint quote

Bobweb

Hey friends,

I got a quote today for some carc type 2 from a chemical company. The quote seemed a bit high. Can anyone give me and idea about the average cost of 383 green? Is there any reason this stuff is 400$ a gallon? Anyone know where to get mil grade for less?44373D2B-463B-4552-9BB2-46BC5A95F416.png

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARC paint is dangerous to work with, it liberates Methyl Isocyanite, a toxic gas when drying.

Even after it is dried, removing it with mechanical means causes toxic dust.

https://www.spexcertiprep.com/MSDS/S-2431.pdf

It was only used by the military because it lets chemical nerve agents wash off easily. They paint trucks while wearing hazmat bunny suits.

Just buy the same color in synthetic enamel from Rapco or some such.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know. I'll be doing paint in the not too distant future. This is extremely flat and they suggest starting with adding 1pt per gal of hardener to make it satin. Hand prints and all. I prefer the look of flat, but not the stains.

Bobweb

I am definitely going with your recommendation. That is the best deal I’ve come across. Also whoever made the comment about carc being caustic when sprayed/ sanded- I did some research and that stuff sounds nasty so I’ll save myself the money and health problems and go with 383 imitation.
How many gallons will I need to paint the whole truck? I’m not going to break it down in pieces, just paint what I can get to but plan to do in cab as well. Thanks for all you help.

-rob

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not done mine yet so I'll be interested in seeing what others on here have to say. You can always contact them. I've done so twice with questions and they are very responsive.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If using paint from a MV parts house, be aware the Aervoe brand fades fast out here in AZ, from OD to pink in a couple years.

Some have said they have reformulated it, but I just use Gillespie and it looks good for a long time.

Thin with Xylol, stay away from mineral spirits.

DG

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My local Sherwin Williams rep was very helpful when I was looking for paint to use on my truck.
She got together with the support people who recommended SHER-CRYL HPA (High Performance Acrylic)
Can be sprayed, rolled, or brushed and looks pretty good to me. Water clean up. It is an Industrial Coating and seems to hold up very well so far.
Went with 24084 paint code from the FS595B which is Semi-Gloss. They made it up with Ultradeep Base.
I paid about $60.00 per gallon on a contractor account. I would estimate 5 gallons to do the whole truck.
https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPD...prodno=B66R300

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks