• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint samples, decisions decisions

TacticalTruck

Bjorn
I will only use Randolph on anything I intend to keep. Price a gallon of automotive paint at your local supplier and Randolpf won't seem too out of line. Other things to consider: how much is your truck worth, how many hours of prep time have you spent on the truck, how much is your time worth? I submit that when you consider total cost of the project, $150 plus or minus is a small percentage for real paint color and protection. Was that price for one gallon delivered? I think I have a gallon in stock or we can go in on a case, hell, lets do a group buy and I'll bring a pallet of paint to aberdeen for distribution.
Jeff

TacticalTruck

One more thing, Randolph is thicker to start with and goes farther.
Anyone remember the old Bell helmet adverts? "If you have a $10 head then get a $10 helmet."
If you have a 30 dollar truck then get a 30 dollar gallon of paint. :wink:
I painted my V-100 eleven years ago w/ Randolf and it still looks fine. It spends most of it's time inside but it has seen it's share of weather and abuse.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone remember the old Bell helmet adverts? "If you have a $10 head then get a $10 helmet."
That line has been stuck in my head ever since those adds ran! (No pun intended)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, I agree with you, but $300 for two gallons delivered is a bit hard to swallow, in comparison, I'm only asking $350 for my extra 20,000 lb winch!
I'll probably need 3 gallons all told before I get finished with the frame, wheels and all, which will receive the same color.

TacticalTruck

I don't think they give a price break until you get into a good quanity but I'll pay for a gallon if you want to check the price on four, delivered to your place. The gallons come in cases of four. I could get it from you later, at Aberdeen maybe.
Jeff

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for the H of it, I called back and asked for more pricing info, here are today's prices:

1 gallon of 529F-1-24084 (Randolph Products #): $168.30
4 gallons @ $93.77/gal: $375.08

Contact info: Randolph Products 413-592-4191 ("Kim")

Jeff, if I had the money for it, I'd do it, but it's out of my reach right now, sorry.

TacticalTruck

OK Bjorn, just an idea. Use a good primer and it won't matter what you use for a top color coat. Personally, I like Avero's 24087 better than Gillespie for color and if you add some hardener, it should hold up reasonably well but not too much or it'll get shiny.
Jeff

M1075

Good luck with it Bjorn. I look forward to the pictures. I'm glad you are tackling this project. Hopefully the pink fairy will stay away for quite some time!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Bjorn, you gonna have that beast ready in time for Aberdeen? That would be a trip to see!

I don't think Gillespie has too much over Aervoe. I've used the latter, and the 24087 faded to black over time, but it took 6 years and my trailer was outside all that time, so I don't the paint is to blame. I'm gonna try using Gillespie this time on my -725, just to try it out. I've heard good and bad about both brands, so I think it's mostly personal preference. After all, which is better: Ford, Chevy, or Dodge? Depends on who you ask, and what experiences they had with each truck, right?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 8x8 wont be ready. Lots of little things to be done and I'm picking away on it. With only 10 weeks left for Aberdeen, I better get the deuce ready and it has some oil pressure issues to be addressed.
It's a matter of money I guess, with more funds on hand, these things could be expedited and I need to prepare about 100 gallons of biodiesel/veggie oil fuel for the 900 mile round trip also.....

To get back to the Aervoe, I'm looking for a local dealer with fresh paint, seems like the 24084 (Aervoe 997B) isn't widely stocked and it's such a good match for late 1960's vehicles.

TacticalTruck

Have you tried getting a local shop to mix a match to Aervoe? Probably more expensive and you'll have to guess on the amount of flattener but just another thought. I don't know how much of a hurry you are in but Alan Hague might be able to order some fresh for Aberdeen.
Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks