• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint source

Loose Deuce

liljohn, I just got a gallon of that 24087 from RAPCO. It cost $24.00 plus $23.00 hazard fee. I didnt like that color after I got it, it has too much of a brownish tint to it for me.

Tony

I bought my Gillespie enamel from Army Jeep Parts back east, had them ship it on a skid with a commercial trucker to my friends business address, cost was a lot less than the UPS route

deuceman51

Ok, I could also use some help with picking out my paint. I'm 20 and own an M-135 and an M-211 deuce and a half. What I can't figure out is the correct color. My m135 is 1951 with data plate number 082, my m211 is 1954 with plate number 32xxx. What is the correct color, i've heard that 24087 is the correct color? Sounds like the guys here don't like it because it is too brownish. So what color should I use on them and what kind of paint is best. Aervoe, gillespie, local auto parts store? I have about 6 months to get my truck painted and going for PROM, yes that's right, my GF wants to go to prom in a deuce and a half and I don't want to dissappoint her. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks guys.

liljohn

Update on my situation, got a call from my dad (I'm up at school now, hence the lack of posts lately), and he got us some paint from a local source, aparently another MV enthusiast who had some for us. I think he said he got us a new canvas cab cover and cargo cover, too. Woo! :)

Opie

Can I be naive and hope that the HazMat fees for paint of about $20 are per SHIPMENT, or is it per GALLON?

Talked with a local paint source and they were quoting $40/quart or $120/gallon. Ouch!

Opie

Just to ask (I know there are a million variables as to skill, paint application, etc.)

If I bought a gallon of red oxide primer and three gallons of 24087 (probably from Brent Mullins Jeep parts) and had someone (who apparently knows what he's doing) shoot the truck for non-show finish, would I have enough product to cover an M109 shop van?

fredrader

Elohim1 on this board went to sherwin williams and they sent him to one of there chemical coating stores..They have CARC in stock..It was thirty something a gallon...They even have the Mil primer that is supposed to be used with it..He bought 6 gal and we will be doing his deuce very soon..

red devils dude

hears where I am geting my CARC
Somebody said:
I just got off the phone with Alfa Heaven #715-449-2141. thay have CARC paint in any collor for 59.95 per gal , 250.00 for 5 gal and military spec enamel for 39.95 per gal ,160.00 for 5 gal. I was told that shipping would be 10.00 , nothing was mentioned about hazmat . this place is about a eight hour drive from me.this was the cheepist i found in wisconsin,the local paint shop would do a mix for me for 100.00 a galfreaked

what is the correct Mil primer.

fredrader

I think it is on the Data sheet supplied with the paint Elohim1 bought..It tells you everything you need..I will have him post it when he gets home from work..

rdixiemiller

3 gallons would probably do the M109. Be smart and roll the top of the box, it will never show, and you will lose a lot less than when you spray. A conventional high pressure spray gun has a transfer efficiency (TE) of about 25%. That means that 25% of the paint is on the vehicle, the rest is overspray. HVLP (High volume, low pressure) guns have a TE of 45-55%. If you know someone who paints wrought iron fences, he might have an electrostatic HVLP gun, it will do about 75% TE. The e-stat gun puts a high voltage (30-60,000 volts) at extremely low amperage (20 microamps) charge on the paint, causing it to be drawn to the metal of the truck like a magnet. The only problem with E-stat guns is the price, $3500-$6000 depending on the brand and model.
This might sound like a lot of hooey, after all, what's a little paint? I spent $2.4 Million last year on paint at Honda Lock, and I am on track to spend $4.3 million this year. We hunt for 1 and 2% TE increases wherever we can find them! Some of our colors run $280 a gallon and up for the base coats, the catalyst is $110 a gallon. This is in 200 gallon lots!
I am lucky, in my line of work I have accumulated all kinds of paint equipment over the years. I use a 1/2 gallon pressure pot and an HVLP gun for most of my painting. My e-stat gun is great when you are painting the undercarriage of a vehicle, because the paint wraps around brake lines, bolts, etc. This makes getting good coverage much easier.
When I get my shop set up, I will be able to do a MV paint job in a long day. The offer to use the shop and equipment will be made, if anyone wants to drive to Carrollton Ga. I'll spray, you help, my wife will cook. We can swap lies!

Desert Rat

Robert,

Let me know when you plan on getting your shop in operation! We'll swap lies about our Howard's experiences and how few ticks we got!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks