• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint

emr

Thats a loaded question! he he, call Alan Haague the paint guy in Holmdel NJ, Hes in the MV mag, i found him to be the nicest to deal with and the best product too,24087 in arvoe is the closet in my opinion, primer ? duno. Randy

Bill W

Red Oxide primer
The correct color for the early M-37's was a Late WWII semi-gloss ( forgot the # )
But most are repainted in 24087

deuceman51

I believe it is 34070. I am painting my 54 M211 with it and I love the old WWII Semi Gloss paints. Look forward to seeing some pics of your M37. I have a 62 M37B1, and am not sure if I like 24087 enought to paint it or if I will stick with the WWII color.

emr

3 posts 3 different colors, that is one of the things that makes this so cool, in my eyes!!!I am no expert, for sure, I do love ALL O.D. and like to see em different, and different is correct so many times, whats nice is i have found that at first i used to feel i love it and wouldnt change it, now that i have a few i have taken up painting them so they can be different every few years, it gets peoples attention, so its like having a new vehicle again,, i belive in a HQ, or an M.P. batalion it may have come in a full gloss 24087, there are alot of variables,seen M38A1's in full gloss on documentaries in MP units and shiny was the word, so i would guess they had to have used at least M37's too? what U like is the correct color, i guess, make it different at first maybe>> Randy

Bill W

emr
reread the replies as I don't see three different answers, I believe deuceman was suggesting that the # for the WWII semi was 34070 being there was only one "semi-gloss" od paint in WWII. Your right that it is what color your prefer BUT it does help to know the original color which was a Late WWII semi OD but the most common repaint was in 24087. I painted my 37 with (Gilliespie paint) 24087.

P.S. I have yet to see a current paint manafacturer get the WWII semi to match what was on my 37 originally but its been a few years since I've compared

My (old) 37 in 24087: http://news.webshots.com/album/29514900mnRYSmPJtB

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
There is a sticky in the deuce forum on paint (which I am in the process of updating to include some older info). Take a look at it, and prefice the info there with this info:

WWII military vehicles were painted 319 flat OD. In 1945 a semigloss was authorized, but the war ended before it was used in production. I am still researching the 1945-1950 period, but that is irrelevent to this conversation.

In 1950 the numbering system changed - and the colors changed too (slightly).

Color standard TT-C-595, which had numbers wtih 4 digits rather than five, was the predecessor of the later FS-595 system. TT-C-595 was adopted 12 January 1950. Most tactical military vehicles delivered to the US Army were painted TT-C-595 2430 when delivered up through 1955.

Regards,
David Doyle

emr

Sorry,,Me not knowing is more of a hassle,I actually try to look stuff up before i send out, but the third post said he didnt know the # so i guessed it was a different color, since it was posted above, I was waiting for You to reply, always like to hear it, I have heard that about WW2, semi, there is a guy in P.A. who feels he has got it and is going to put it out,we will see, Paint is always the most sticky, I am no expert as said, Noticed Your M37 is a bit shinier than arvoe is this true? or is it just the difference in shade, I think Gil, is more dark green and avrvoe is a bit more brownish??I have noticed that a hardener will also put a little more gloss on it, is it rue about what i said about MP and HQ?? I have heard this and think i noticed it??? Thanks Randy

emr

Bill I answered to David by accident, but I also would like to know the correct color too, and as said im a novice with an opinion, and it is always changing , with knowledge, sometimes i get it wrong, so the answer was to You, and Liking that David came in, shwew, i confuse myself, Randy

emr

I have also noticed that the fade factor in mil paint since its semi or flat fades a little gifferently over time, i think matching even 6 month old mil paint is not going to happen untill it sits in the sun for half a year too, i have found this with touch ups, at first it looks like a totaly different color than months later its the same, I have found that my favorite shades of Mil paint are offten the faded versions, oh well Randy

Bill W

emr
Arvoe and Gilliespie are alkilyd enamels ( industrial paint ) and do not hold up like automotive quality paints do but they are very easy and forgiving paints to work with ( you have to try really hard to make them run). I used $60 pint synthetic hardner with my gilliespie paint ( yes it made it more glossy) and kept the 37 garaged but if you look at the link below you'll see my 37 with 3 year old paint parked next to my freshly painted deuce ( same paint/hardner ) and you'll see a very slight fade on the hood of my 37 ( maybe you had to be there). I prefer Gillespie over Arvoe as I've had to many friends having bad fade and matching problems using Arvoe. Gillespie seems to be a little browner then Arvoe. When buying either of these paints in gallons, make sure you get matching lot/batch numbers on the cans :wink:

http://news.webshots.com/photo/1029550711033732824BwgiDsJOdB

emr

The first time i painted my first deuce, I used hardener, and people were shocked how glossy, Now so many people do it its just part of the process i guess, I have dulled mine over the years , it looks battle ready, but i think its going to be nice again next year. Paint is a touchy subject for sure, I like the faded looks, To my eye arvoe fades to a darker color, much more like the sun drench trucks in the tropics, Gilliespie, ive seen a couple of trucks that were sun drenched for a few years and was very grey?. I think thats why I like the aervoe, Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks