• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint

emr

Thats a loaded question! he he, call Alan Haague the paint guy in Holmdel NJ, Hes in the MV mag, i found him to be the nicest to deal with and the best product too,24087 in arvoe is the closet in my opinion, primer ? duno. Randy

Bill W

Red Oxide primer
The correct color for the early M-37's was a Late WWII semi-gloss ( forgot the # )
But most are repainted in 24087

deuceman51

I believe it is 34070. I am painting my 54 M211 with it and I love the old WWII Semi Gloss paints. Look forward to seeing some pics of your M37. I have a 62 M37B1, and am not sure if I like 24087 enought to paint it or if I will stick with the WWII color.

emr

3 posts 3 different colors, that is one of the things that makes this so cool, in my eyes!!!I am no expert, for sure, I do love ALL O.D. and like to see em different, and different is correct so many times, whats nice is i have found that at first i used to feel i love it and wouldnt change it, now that i have a few i have taken up painting them so they can be different every few years, it gets peoples attention, so its like having a new vehicle again,, i belive in a HQ, or an M.P. batalion it may have come in a full gloss 24087, there are alot of variables,seen M38A1's in full gloss on documentaries in MP units and shiny was the word, so i would guess they had to have used at least M37's too? what U like is the correct color, i guess, make it different at first maybe>> Randy

Bill W

emr
reread the replies as I don't see three different answers, I believe deuceman was suggesting that the # for the WWII semi was 34070 being there was only one "semi-gloss" od paint in WWII. Your right that it is what color your prefer BUT it does help to know the original color which was a Late WWII semi OD but the most common repaint was in 24087. I painted my 37 with (Gilliespie paint) 24087.

P.S. I have yet to see a current paint manafacturer get the WWII semi to match what was on my 37 originally but its been a few years since I've compared

My (old) 37 in 24087: http://news.webshots.com/album/29514900mnRYSmPJtB

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
There is a sticky in the deuce forum on paint (which I am in the process of updating to include some older info). Take a look at it, and prefice the info there with this info:

WWII military vehicles were painted 319 flat OD. In 1945 a semigloss was authorized, but the war ended before it was used in production. I am still researching the 1945-1950 period, but that is irrelevent to this conversation.

In 1950 the numbering system changed - and the colors changed too (slightly).

Color standard TT-C-595, which had numbers wtih 4 digits rather than five, was the predecessor of the later FS-595 system. TT-C-595 was adopted 12 January 1950. Most tactical military vehicles delivered to the US Army were painted TT-C-595 2430 when delivered up through 1955.

Regards,
David Doyle

emr

Sorry,,Me not knowing is more of a hassle,I actually try to look stuff up before i send out, but the third post said he didnt know the # so i guessed it was a different color, since it was posted above, I was waiting for You to reply, always like to hear it, I have heard that about WW2, semi, there is a guy in P.A. who feels he has got it and is going to put it out,we will see, Paint is always the most sticky, I am no expert as said, Noticed Your M37 is a bit shinier than arvoe is this true? or is it just the difference in shade, I think Gil, is more dark green and avrvoe is a bit more brownish??I have noticed that a hardener will also put a little more gloss on it, is it rue about what i said about MP and HQ?? I have heard this and think i noticed it??? Thanks Randy

emr

Bill I answered to David by accident, but I also would like to know the correct color too, and as said im a novice with an opinion, and it is always changing , with knowledge, sometimes i get it wrong, so the answer was to You, and Liking that David came in, shwew, i confuse myself, Randy

emr

I have also noticed that the fade factor in mil paint since its semi or flat fades a little gifferently over time, i think matching even 6 month old mil paint is not going to happen untill it sits in the sun for half a year too, i have found this with touch ups, at first it looks like a totaly different color than months later its the same, I have found that my favorite shades of Mil paint are offten the faded versions, oh well Randy

Bill W

emr
Arvoe and Gilliespie are alkilyd enamels ( industrial paint ) and do not hold up like automotive quality paints do but they are very easy and forgiving paints to work with ( you have to try really hard to make them run). I used $60 pint synthetic hardner with my gilliespie paint ( yes it made it more glossy) and kept the 37 garaged but if you look at the link below you'll see my 37 with 3 year old paint parked next to my freshly painted deuce ( same paint/hardner ) and you'll see a very slight fade on the hood of my 37 ( maybe you had to be there). I prefer Gillespie over Arvoe as I've had to many friends having bad fade and matching problems using Arvoe. Gillespie seems to be a little browner then Arvoe. When buying either of these paints in gallons, make sure you get matching lot/batch numbers on the cans :wink:

http://news.webshots.com/photo/1029550711033732824BwgiDsJOdB

emr

The first time i painted my first deuce, I used hardener, and people were shocked how glossy, Now so many people do it its just part of the process i guess, I have dulled mine over the years , it looks battle ready, but i think its going to be nice again next year. Paint is a touchy subject for sure, I like the faded looks, To my eye arvoe fades to a darker color, much more like the sun drench trucks in the tropics, Gilliespie, ive seen a couple of trucks that were sun drenched for a few years and was very grey?. I think thats why I like the aervoe, Randy