• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painted the M1009 (Behr paint)

bp m1009

I finally got a chance to get the paint done on the truck. Spent most of Saturday prepping the truck and then spent most of Sunday painting it. I used the Behr exterior paint. I turned out pretty good, should have spent more time on the prep, but i was getting anxious to paint lol. the paint that was on it was done by the PO who just threw some flat black paint on it and let it sit under the trees for 3 years so it was pretty nasty. Id say the truck is a good 10 footer. Im just happy she's green again and it only cost me about $40. Heres some before and after pics. Also will be painting wheels tomorrow
photo-39.jpgphoto-40.jpgphoto-41.jpgphoto-42.jpgphoto-43.jpgphoto-44.jpgphoto-45.jpgphoto-38.jpgphoto-37.jpg

ARYankee

That's up next for mine as well. Looks great! I don't think that I will tackle painting it myself. I think I may actually have it painted.

wsucougarx

Looks great! As the paint gets rinsed (rain etc) the paint will get flatter. During the first few rinsings, you'll get dark streaks in the paint. No worries as that's an ingredient in the latex paint that'll rinse out (would otherwise be absorbed by wood). Do not get her wet for at least a week or two or she'll bubble. Looks great!

ARYankee

Yeah, that is what gets me is the time consuming part plus I would get anxious to get it painted and rush it. At least if I take it somewhere to have it done then I don't have to deal with all that. Plus I have a bunch of other projects to do too. The motor pool is always in need of constant attention. :)

Scarecrow1

ARYankee that's the best part of these trucks ( You are never without some thing to do ) :) bp it looks great I don't think it will matter about the rain as much as just don't let the water pool on it in the sun. I painted my bumper as a test spot and it rained the same evening , Well within 24 hrs and it was fine. Mine should be ready to paint next month but I'm using Sherwin Williams ......... and a ladder It's a 923A1........

Do not get her wet for at least a week or two or she'll bubble. Looks great!
I am really interested in a home applied solid green over my makeshift camo job. However, I worry about the durability of latex house paint over metal. I've heard good things about the Sherwin Williams paint too. What are you guys using to apply the paint?

I'm considering using the regular CARC paint in order to have it hold up to branches and things that would otherwise damage the paint easily.

Attachments

ajsmith184

My buddy painted his offroad truck with sherwin williams CARC, and recently did the underside with the properly mixed paint from HD...The color is very close..The carc has a better texture, and is much much stronger....I went with SW for mine and have no regrets...Once it was paid for ;)

twlinks

I am really interested in a home applied solid green over my makeshift camo job. However, I worry about the durability of latex house paint over metal. What are you guys using to apply the paint?
Nothing in the world wrong with applying latex house paint on metal. I can't tell you how many store front facades we've painted over the years with regular house paint and it works just fine. Those facades even take the worst beating that weather has to offer, especially UV rays in the summer. Once it has fully cured out, it will be ok.

As for application, I know some guys here have used brushes and foam rollers. The test areas I did with those was NOT satisfactory to me, so I will be spraying mine...maybe this coming weekend. I will thin it a little and I will be using my airless house paint sprayer, just like I did on my M101A1 trailer which turned out just fine. Good luck with whatever way you choose and are most comfortable with.

twlinks

Kelly, the Behr paint is from Home Depot. If you go to the paint forum here there are tons of information and codes for Behr, Sherwin Williams, Valspar...etc.

twlinks

I think it will be ok. The paint is not cured out yet, even if it's dry to the touch. Give it some time and don't do anything to it. You're in a cold climate still. What was the temperature the day you painted it? Humidity?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the Behr paint code - I buy mine at Home Depot (if you just copy this picture and print it and take it with you, they can make this up while you wait). You should be aware that each gallon will be slightly different in shade. So either keep a little extra of the gallon for touch up OR expect to repeat the full paint job with each gallon. I did my dually in a couple of days. But I'm retired and my time is my own.

Also, MINE suffered SEVERE rain with a little hail mixed in about two days after the second coat was applied. After two or three days of drying it looked great.

BUT, I have put three coats on this truck. The first one looked OK. The second looked a LOT better. And the third one is about a three foot paint job (practice does make perfect). I let the truck dry more than a week between the first and second coat and more than a month before the I put down the third coat.

I used the 6" x 1/2" close cell foam rollers that I got at Home Depot, along with the roller handle itself. Three rollers, the handle and the plastic pan to pour the paint in was about $10.

View attachment 415390

View attachment 415391

It's been MORE than six months since the third coat and it's holding up rather well.

twlinks

Yeah, 50 would be a bare minimum. Most manufacturer's say not below 55 or above 95. I'm guessing it also got below 32 overnight...another no, no, but it is what it is and will just take longer to cure properly.