• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting a M101 trailer

truck1

What kind of spray equipment are you using?If you are using a siphon or gravity spray gun ,1 gallon should be plenty for 2 or 3 coats.Are you using acrylic enamel?Follow directions on can as to reduction and gun pressure.More loss of material with a siphon gun as compared to a gravity low VOC setup.Good luck!

derf

If you sand, don't inhale CARC. Don't inhale any debris from sanding but especially don't inhale CARC.

Ratch

I did a full bed interior with a little over a quart per coat of bedliner rollered.
I used about 4 rattle cans on an exterior once.

Good post, at some point I'll repaint a couple with a spray gun. Helpful info to have early.

SteveKuhn

A quart is going to cost about 40% of a gallon, so if you're going to do more than 1 trailer or more than 1 coat, the gallon is the best deal.

PM, email or give me a call if you'd like formulas for Benjamin Moore in an extremely close Desert Tan, almost perfect 'Dark/aged 383' (like on the bows and racks I took), or Vietnam era OD. I didn't try for a mix for 383 to match the Gillespie.

You can get the bases in anything from flat acrylic to acrylic or alkyd semi gloss. You should be able to get it down there, and it's cheaper per gallon than HAZMAT for either Arvoe or Gillespie.

Steve

Last edited:

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painted Today

I just primed my M101A1 today. It was media blasted to bare metal yesterday. It took 2 quarts of epoxy primer to do everything except the bed underside. We stripped the entire frame, springs and axel. Based on that, 2 coats of paint with a conventional gun will take a gallon or a bit less.