• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting a M101A1 questions

hoffy85

I bought a M101A1 recently and I would like to sand down the bed and paint it. Would I be best off just using a regular power sander to sand it down and then just rattle can it with spray paint? This will be used as a general utility trailer and for firewood.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why bother? The spray can stuff won't last 6 months. If your going to do a good job, use a sand blaster, otherwise run it through the car wash, and then get the loose stuff with a putty knife, and use a brush on the rest, unless you have a spray gun. There is plenty of comment already on the types of paint. you can do a sharp job with a brush too - it will go pretty fast, unless your one of the Michael Angello types.

If its CARC, wear a respirator! That stuff is nasty when it comes off.
As for repainting, why not spray the bed with bedliner? I use Raptor Liner (www.tcpglobal.com) myself but any bedliner would work probably. It will stand up to firewood much better than spray paint will.

hoffy85

What I meant is that I want to sand and paint the exterior of the bed portion of the trailer. I plan to use a product like Raptor Liner for the bed itself. But the for the sides of the trailer bed should I just sand or have it sand blasted then just rattle can the exterior? I don't have a spray gun or anything and want to do it myself so I can't get too fancy.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

mikey

Jeff,

Lot's of guys here have had success without spending a ton of money. I painted an entire deuce like this:

1) Pressure wash
2) Wire wheel rust and loose paint
3) pressure wash
4) Prime (rustoleum rusty metal primer)
5) Paint

You can even use Behr Home Premium exterior flat latex paint. There are paint codes in this section that will match your paint perfectly to the military CARC 383 green color. I'm sure you can find tan in that thread too.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...House-Paints&p=1130388&viewfull=1#post1130388

I bought a $100 Wagner paint sprayer and I couldn't be happier with it.

Mikey

mikey

Some guys buy rattle cans, I prefer a paint sprayer. Either way will work.

Obviously for a trailer that you'll use to haul wood, you're not looking for a car show paint job. You'd be fine with a cheap paint sprayer. You can get cheap sprayers from HF that run off air, or something like the electric Wagner paint sprayer that I got from Lowes for $100.

If you want to use spray cans, you'll need to buy them from one of the vendors that sells the correct color (such as Rapco), as you won't find spray cans at your local store that match military green or tan.

If you elect to use the Behr Home Premium, the paint codes are all in the thread referenced above. Once the Behr cures and dries, it is very solid. It is not easy to scratch or chip.

Mikey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks