• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting an old truck an accurate US military tan color...

HDN

I'm considering the purchase of a 1972 deuce, and my wife wants to have it painted tan. I feel like that's more of a modern color considering the current active battlefields, but I'm thinking there was a flat tan paint scheme for desert combat in the 1970s. Does anyone know of or have any references for tan army trucks and their markings in the 1970s onward?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were M44 series vehicles used in the first Gulf War. My computer crashed so I lost many of my saved pictures, but I had several pictures of deuces from that conflict. I even had one of an M44 fire truck pulling a heavy trailer. As I recall, that naturally aspirated truck was putting out quite a smoke trail.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a tan M35A2 that was painted for that conflict, although I have no way of knowing if it actually made it over there or was just painted in preparation. It was a seriously rushed paint job, though, so it could have been used over there.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All three of the attached are in theater during the Desert Storm era. Some vehicles went over in tan, most went over in whatever paint they were wearing and got repainted over there, or never got painted at all. The ones painted tan got anything from a slop on job with a broom, to a neatly applied spray job. Depended on what unit had what equipment available, and how much time they had.

One appears to be MERDEC Winter Verdant, and has the troop seats reversed so they are on the outside of the bed as cargo racks.

The second is in 686 tan.

The third is overall 34094, the 383 camo green.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks