• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting Combat jumps M1028

Cucvnut

SO I met Kurt at his house and we went over to a paint shop he had rented for the day to paint the truck. First we finished sanding the primer and then wiped the truck down with paint thinner and moved the truck to the booth. Then we masked off the windows and tires and got to painting.
The gun seemed to be having Issues and we could not Figure it out. It was spraying low and not painting right. Half way threw the painting the truck the paint gun adapter flew apart. The adapter was put back together and viola no more paint gun issues it was spraying well. We finished off the painting and wow it looked great! we used the Tan Glipsie paint set to 4 to 1. Here are a few pictures Im sure Kurt will chime in.

Kurts M1028 is the small one my M1008 is the big one.

Attachments

Craig C

You guys are hired. That looks great. Know anyone who does good body work in the area. My M1008 needs some work where the DRMO folks picked it up with a forklift and the M1009 needs a whole rear passenger side quarter panel.

Cucvnut

You guys are hired. That looks great. Know anyone who does good body work in the area. My M1008 needs some work where the DRMO folks picked it up with a forklift and the M1009 needs a whole rear passenger side quarter panel.

Craig are you looking in SJ or Paso Robles ? My M1008 has the dents also in the side I left mine in.

combat jump

Yep, Cucvfreek and I worked all day on this truck, and my tired body is feeling it now, haha! We got to the paint shop at 0900, and rolled out around 1600. Done! I had shot the truck with good old Rustoleum (one gallon) over a week ago in the driveway. Probably not such good idea in California. So, I rented the spray booth for the top coat. I am glad not to be driving a primer colored M1028 anymore :) ! Really, though, the Rapco 686 looks great, and Cucvfreek was a huge help - sanding, degreasing, masking, and shooting - so a big thank you to you, Matt!

I had 2 gallons of paint, but only used one (and about a pint from the second gallon). Cut it with xylene, 4:1. As Matt mentioned, the paint went on poorly at first. The problem was a leaky fitting at the gun that vented air disturbing the paint spray. The fitting finally separated with a bang. After the fix, the problem was gone, and paint went down like magic.

Tomorrow I'll spray bumper numbers. Have not yet decided from which Army unit I was assigned. I'll also install a Solargizer.

So this truck is really shaping up. New diff gears, (3.73) and now new paint!

Attachments

combat jump

Final painting pictures. Bumper numbers and a license plate. First time this truck has ever had one. Also stenciled TP50 above the tires, and DIESEL on the fuel door. Overall, a fun project, but lots of time required.

Next project is to mount a 5 gallon jerry can inside the bed, securely. I have the base and locking metal strap.

Attachments

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And people don't understand why we like these trucks........REALLY!!!!!.....Whats not to like?

popacom / BILL in KY.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks