• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

painting my 53 REO

austinaubinoe

"...I just read that the behr cost $39 a gallon..."

Add about $11/gal for the BM alkyd.

Steve
:shock:

umm what! The BM Alkyd is 1/2 the price as the rustoleum gallons! WOW...

So this would be my best option I guess. If I rent that airless sprayer, would I need to dilute it with xylene? At that price Ill get 4 gallons to do some extra coats. No problem top coating the cured red oxide with alkyd right? And were talking the P24 BM stuff right?

This all I need still to get the korean war OD?

P24-4B (alkyd semi gloss)
OY 6X5
RX 22
BK 7X1

thanks a bunch man.

SteveKuhn

I had to find a can without the formula splotched. That's it. I've used regular paint thinner with P24; if you want to try another, test it first, please. The label actually says not to thin but the label doesn't have spraying directions.

BM is $50 or so a gallon; Maybe a few dollars more depending on the dealer. Around here, RustOleum is cheaper at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I don't offer it as a low cost alternative.

I'm attaching a photo from the MTA show a couple of weeks ago that shows which paint is which on my truck with an Aervoe 24087 truck right behind it.

After cautioning about judging paint tints on photos like this, I'll say that the Aervoe was at least that much darker if not moreso.

Attachments

austinaubinoe

:oops: Wow I totally read that as $11 a gallon. Guess I am a little slow today! OK so its $50 a gallon. Would you say its worth it if my truck is already in primer? The price difference is not significant to me.

WHAT is gonna hold up the longest?

EDIT: added some current pictures. Paint is holding up great! would be 100% done if it didnt rain today.

Attachments

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

I'm not an expert on spraying, but here's how I would resolve the reducer question.

I'd mix the reducer and paint in the proportion I'd expect to use it - say 4:1 or 3: 1. I'd test it with a brush or roller on an area somewhere like the inside of the bed to make sure that the reducer and paint get along, everything dries hard, and it doesn't turn into never-drying guck.

Then I'd adjust the ratio to where it sprays the way I want.

I can't answer your question for you but I'm more likely to use BM going forward than Gillespie regardless of how I apply it. It's faster, harder and I think more durable. YMMV.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks