• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting Near Houston

niferous

Is there anyone in Houston that knows how to apply CARC paint? I figure this is a long shot but I really need to learn how to paint my CUCV and I'm better learning when someone shows me. I have an account with Sherwin Williams so getting the problem but I don't know what kind of gun I need, thinners if any, etc etc. Basically I am completely new to all this. By the way I am willing to drive as far as San Antonio or Austin is someone is out that way and can help me.

Once I again I know it may be a long shot that someone would want to help out but I figured it better to ask before I just handed money over to a body shop. Also I am thinking either just solid green or desert tan so no three color paint job here.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spraying CARC should be the same as shooting any other paint. A Sherwin Williams material data guide will be able to tell you all you need to know. The guide includes what type of gun, pressures, thinners, etc. to use.

This is speaking from someone who has sprayed automotive, industrial, and marine coatings, but not CARC. I'm sure that someone will chime in with CARC experieince shortly.

Just make sure you have a really good respirator with the proper OV inserts or a positive pressure mask! The guide and/or MSDS will tell you what you need.

Dark green or tan should look really good. There was someone who posted last night? with a new tan paint job and it looked slammin!

Good Luck!!

niferous

Well that's the thing is that I have never sprayed anything besides rattle cans. I know there is technique when using a paint gun etc. I also don't know how I should prep the truck at all. I really want to do a detailed paint job. As in I want to remove the windows, hood, front clip, lenses, etc. Even if I don't get to do that I know I'll save a lot of cash just spraying the truck myself then paying a body shop to do it. The only thing I plan on having done at a paint and body shop is getting the dents fixed.

Nonotagain

Your first premise was to have someone show you how to paint CARC, and then in your next post you want them to not just show you how to spray CARC but how to spraypaint.

Most shops won't entertain teaching a newbie how to paint, much less someone that wants to do some of the work to save a buck. They are in business to make money not do favors.

Earl Shibe (sp) pre Maaco, used to advertise that they would paint any car for $39.95, and they meant it. No masking, sanding, or dent removal. However you brought it in is exactly how it got painted, bird dung and all.

The guys that work in automotive paint shops usually aren't interested in teaching painting, but making as much money as they can doing side work.

Your project is going to take a couple of weeks at best case; worst case a couple of months.

See if any of the local community colleges offer automotive courses and enroll, if not the Internet is a wealth of information.

niferous

Your first premise was to have someone show you how to paint CARC, and then in your next post you want them to not just show you how to spray CARC but how to spraypaint.

Most shops won't entertain teaching a newbie how to paint, much less someone that wants to do some of the work to save a buck. They are in business to make money not do favors.

Earl Shibe (sp) pre Maaco, used to advertise that they would paint any car for $39.95, and they meant it. No masking, sanding, or dent removal. However you brought it in is exactly how it got painted, bird dung and all.

The guys that work in automotive paint shops usually aren't interested in teaching painting, but making as much money as they can doing side work.

Your project is going to take a couple of weeks at best case; worst case a couple of months.

See if any of the local community colleges offer automotive courses and enroll, if not the Internet is a wealth of information.
I wasn't looking for a professional paint shop I was looking for a member here who had previously done it. By the way I have found someone (he PMed me instead of posting here) who said he would be happy to show me. As far as the detail involved I'm not looking to take over someone's shop. While I would like a frame off paint job I know that without my own hope that probably isn't going to happen. Instead I would like to learn the basic ropes so that later on down the road when I do have my own shop I can paint my green iron there at my leisure.

Thanks for the reply. :grin:

Edit to add: I don't see anywhere that I asked to be shown how to spray anything but CARC. Just that I knew there was a technique for spraying anything and I didn't know what it was.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted my M35 with CARC a couple of years ago. I used a $20 paint gun from northern equipment. And thinned it 25%. I regulated the gun down to 30PSI. It came out well. It's very forgiving paint, meaning it doesen't run very easy. It takes most of the day to dry even in the sun. I'm here in houston also. If you need help PM me.

zout

No different than any other paint as mentioned. Just do not skimp $$$$'s on breathing apparatus - this and any other paint will not come out of your interior and will cause major health issues - even sanding CARC is a problem.

I just shot SW CARC and have shot paint all my life back to the chopper days in 68.
I used my normal guns for this 1.8-1.4 HVLP gun - and also used my primer gun.

Read the SW data sheet as mentioned and use the recommended reducers.
Find an ole sheet of metal and load 1/4 can and practice. This and other paints are not what you want to shoot in a subdivision or in a residenial area. Highly recommend a booth for this.
Also use the recommended rust inhibitors underneath for a topcoat of CARC, some will bleed through.
It is flat paint - so there is no way to really screw up unless you thin it way out and hold the gun in one place and let er run - or wrong gun settings.
There are more experienced painters here than I and I would take their advise into consideration very highly.

dragman

I used Gillespie from Rapco..(they are in Texas).$32.00 a gallon,..Easy stuff to spray, mix 4 To 1..when you paint, spray 50% overlap, this is the norm...make sure you filter the air for water....Prep is more important than kind of paint. This stuff will dry fast. anybody can spray it......I sanded my M35, taped it off and panited it in 2 days...........Just keep moving.....Good Luck :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks