• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting Noob; How To Paint Camo?

Jinx

Simple question from a painting noob. How is camo applied? Is it done freehand or are the various colors taped off to keep over spray to a minimum? Also, do they spray it on, or is it painted with a brush?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple question from a painting noob. How is camo applied? Is it done freehand or are the various colors taped off to keep over spray to a minimum? Also, do they spray it on, or is it painted with a brush?

Freehand? Yes!
Taped off? Yes!
Sprayed on? Yes!
Brushed on? Yes!

Sorry but that is the way they do it. There is a TM that covers such. TB 43-0209 IIRC. http://vietnam.net.pl/TB746_en.htm

Link to the TM (now dead link) http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=7

Last edited by a moderator:

datsunaholic

I've seen some that look like they were painted with a broom. The straw military-issue type. And not new ones, either.

My Reserve unit wasn't much better... we painted our Mobile Command Post (an M109A3) using forest green latex house paint and rollers. Touch up what the rollers missed with a 6" bristle brush. That's what happens when you ask Navy guys to paint something. One coat for dust, 2 coats for rust...

BillIdaho

There is a TM that explains the process.

It is a paint by number thing. Brush, roller, spray gun, broom, sponge, and derivitives/combinations thereof.
I have seen rigs come in (at Idaho Motor Pool for example) with some of the best and worst looking patterns and applications. So technically speaking, would it not make sense that any "quality" of camo paint job could be considered "accurate"?
To take it one step further, the specific pattern is determined by that TM. Even that says there is a margin for error. So I think the only constant should be the color. And with that being said, there are volumes of threads on the variations of that, too.
It boils down to whatever trips your trigger. Within reason. (Bright purple and orange, in a checkerboard digital pattern is going to raise some eyebrows.)

littlebob

In the TM, it should also note that in the paint by number thing, that different colors are used for each number depending on the enviroment of its intended use.

ONTOS66

There are a number of resources for information on painting military vehicles. Since there were several thoughts on camouflage (4 color, 3 color, etc.) plus different time periods and different types of equipment.

Some references include:

TB 43-0147
TB 43-0209
TB 43-0242
TB 746-93-1
TM 43-013
AR 58-1

and others that I don't come to mind right now. Most of those are availabe in pdf format for download from resourses at SS.

If any of them are not there, let me know and I'll upload what ever is missing.

Jones

The procedure we use is to paint the entire truck 383 green (or 686 tan, whichever you prefer) then we come back with the black and brown. This is so that we don't have any places where the primer shows through... especially important with a CARC coating.

With very few exceptions where a definate dimension is given, the patterns are only a guide; but are vehicle specific. A pattern for a 5-ton isn't just a scaled-up deuce pattern.

Overspray ("transition zone") is pretty close but still there. The idea is that there are very few sharp lines in nature.

This is what the clear plastic overlay gauge looks like. The "Actual Boundary Designator" line is placed over the centerline of any two colors and if the overspray extends beyond the broken line, the paint job fails. and that area has to be re-done.

Attachments

davidkroberts

i usually dont mask off anything other than glass, tires,lights, and gauges. Im kind of an odd bird when it comes to painting though. I dont really care if things are "correct" or not just if i like it or not. When i painted my Gama Goat and M715 I used multiple color Camo paint from the hardware store (about 10 dollars a gallon) and i usually spray gun on a base coat and use rattlecan for the camo off colors freehand. My gama goat and M715 were both painted in about three hours and still look good.

Attachments

BG6

Anyone got good pics of an M151 with desert camo? That's most appropriate for one in Nevada . . .and I'm really gonna make people wonder when I put on the Nevada Test Site Museum license plate. Go look at it, and you see that the word "museum" is all but invisible from 20 feet away, so all anyone sees is the atomic symbol and:

NEVADA TEST SITE
ATOMIC TESTING <smudge>

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks