• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting Stainless

Nonotagain

Has anyone had any luck putting paint over stanless steel? Found some mirrors for my M1031 so I can see past the box.
Only two ways to get paint to stick to stainless steel.

Passivate the stainless in hot nitric dichromate or sand blast and prime with wash primer then topcoat.

Paints adhere by one of two methods, chemical or mechanical.

Ridgerunner

When I paint over stainless, I'll DA it first, with 80grit to give the primer something to grip to so it doesn't flake off later on. Then wipe it down with thinner, prime it and paint it. The mirrors on my Deuce were pollished stainless at one time also.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I bought round SS mirrors for my duce , gave them a light coat of rattle can bed liner. Waited a day or 2 then Rapco 383, two years later still look good. Not the right way but it worked.

JasonS

Only two ways to get paint to stick to stainless steel.

Passivate the stainless in hot nitric dichromate or sand blast and prime with wash primer then topcoat.

Paints adhere by one of two methods, chemical or mechanical.
To add a little detail:
There are four general types of bond mechanisms : ionic (NaCl), covalent (metals), mechanical (bolt and nut, velcro), and van der waal (scotch tape, gecko). It is generally accepted that paint adheres via a combination of van der waal and mechanical bonds. Sandblasting improves both by adding a mechanical interlocking as well as increasing surface area which increase van der waal bonds.

diesel583

Thanks Guys. It may be a little while before I get it done. Got a set for a dually so I don't back over a Smart Car. Almost got one at the gas station last week

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks