• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting tan cover green?

machinist75

Im having trouble finding a nice three color camo m105a2 trailer with matching tarp. I have a line on a real nice one, but it's tan with a tan tarp. Painting the trailer is no big issue, the problem is the tarp. I have heard of people painting the tarp but I was wondering how it would hold up. If it flexes or folds would the paint flake off? If I paint the trailer I would probably use the home depot method. Any pics would be great.

Thanks
Mike

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I painted my tan M35A2 cab top green with krylon OD green a year or two ago. Still looks good.

3dAngus

Be careful of the type of paint you apply as well. I had some trouble with it forming a drip and running. Never happened on metal vertical walls, but it was easy with the cover. Go light with it and do mulitple coats after fully drying or you might pay the price.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my understanding is that the 3 color camo is painted onto the green covers from the factory. I haven't painted one yet but I like the idea.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is correct, the 3 color camo is painted on, but the material is brand new, no grease, oil, or any other contaminates on it. The special paint is also cured using a special process.

Oldfart

Two years on this paint. Rustolium oil base flat spray painted with acetone thinner. Very few cracks showing now, but no peeling. Vinyl cover was very old and worn before paint. Pressure washed before paint. I have a larger problem with rust bleeding through on both the truck and trailer, making rustolium spray can touch up necessary. All easy to do.

Attachments

Last edited:

jbingvtx

This is good info! The last time I washed my truck I used a soft bristle RV brush to reach up on the sides and most of the black washed off the tarp. I suppose I'll just paint it back on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks