• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting the 818

ida34

It all started with me just wanting to replace the rusted out Driver's side fender. I then just decided to do the whole truck. I still need to do some misc patching hear and there but I figure I can just touch it up. I will also need to mask off the interior and paint it this weekend.

Attachments

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Painting the 818

It is more of a pain to paint them together. I painted the new fender off the truck then installed. I am doing a motor pool repaint. When we would get ours repainted by the Division paint shop we would mask it like I did then they would spray it down over everything and anything not masked. Depot rebuilds painted all the stuff then assembled it. Everything was painted like new from the engine all the way down. If I was doing a frame off I would paint it all one at a time but I am doing the motor pool repaint. The only thing we did that I did not do was take off the top. We did drop the spare but did not remove much else besides the top. This is the look I am going for. I did not even tape the wheels as we never masked them for paint. The truck had new carc in the 90's and some high wear areas needed to be spot painted but the new paint would not have matched so I decided to paint it all.

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Painting the 818

I have done the long wait in the ROK also. I feel your pain. At the time I had just purchased an old blazer and all I could do was think about what I was going to do to it when I got home. Thanks for the kind words. It is far too humid and looks like it might rain today. No more painting today. Maybe I can get back on it Thursday.

1stDeuce

Looking good Chuck!! If you don't mind my asking, whatcha usin for paint?? I still need to figure out how much to order, and Gillespie colors seem like the best thing going. I'm waiting to see the condition of my 1008 and 1009 before I order so I can get it all at once. Gotta get enough for the deuce and trailer for sure!!

I'll post something here if I end up getting 5 gal buckets freight shipped... Perhaps others local will want some too...

C

ida34

No mask on the tires Ted. We never masked them in the Army so I want to make it authentic plus it is easier to not mask.

Chris,
I got you call a little late. Did everything turn out OK? I have used about half a gallon of Gillespie red oxide as it stands and that is with one coat. I figure I will go through at least 2 or 3 gallons and at least 2 or 3 coats of color.

Dave,
I am going to keep her straight 383. She was straight green before I started so I am going to keep her that way. I am going to paint my deuce base green and then apply the brown and black. I may need some masks. I will get with you.

I am using the 383 Green Gillespie but like others have noted the zylene gives it a little hint of gloss in direct sun light. Other than that I am happy. I am adding hardener also and mixing 8:3:1.

KAILUAZ

Looks good. I remember taping up a HMMWV for the first time at Ft Hood, it was the windows, bumper numbers, and lights. That was it, they sprayed everything else! And they did not tape the tires either, they just took a few more seconds being careful there.
I then drove for the CG and they took a little bit more effort to keep the paint off my Armour-all'd tires haha,, but not much!

ida34

I finished the exterior today. No pics yet. I started the color coat on Friday morning and the gun gave me trouble. I cleaned the gun and again it would spray for a few seconds and then it would lean out. I finally found the pin hole vent in the can was clogged. I worked for about an hour and got the first coat on the cab. I then had to get ready to take the deuce to a car show in Ann Arbor. It was quite and event. I was the only military vehicle there and I let the kids get in the back and in the cab. I kept the doors open for easy access. There seemed to be a better response with the doors open. Plenty of kids got pics in the cab and back. A few of my coworkers stopped by to check it out. It rained Saturday so no painting could be done. I was able to start on it by noon to day. It took about four hours to put down finish the first coat and put down a second. I used just shy of two gallons of paint, one can of Xylene and two cans of hardener. The spraying took about about three hours and it took about another hour to clean everything. The paint turned out slightly darker than 383 Green should have. It was a cross between 383 green and Vietnam era olive drab. I kind of like the color. At any rate, I will post pics when I get them. Now I need to get the interior painted.

I did get two pics from the car show. They are of a prototype three wheel jeep. The tub is wider and can carry three people shoulder to shoulder in the front and three in the back. It had the shifter on the tree. The guy said his was number one. I asked about seeing one in a magazine and he said that was number two. I think he said there are only two or three made in total.

Attachments

ida34

I was able to finish up the painting on the exterior last Sunday. Now I have pics. Today I checked the left tank and found the sending unit bad. I pumped the full tank on the left over to the right as the sending unit worked on the right. I still have a good reserve in the left tank for my trailer pickup on Friday. After the pickup I am going to start taping and paint the interior. She is coming along.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very nice:
It looks like it just came out of the motorpool. I know we unit painted all of our M915's in the 104th Trans and the color was just a bit off God bless the NCO's those trucks got more comments on our commitments from the unit paint job and later after getting promoted and moving to the First Cavalry Division and getting to go fight Saddamm the first time, I was in our division area and low and behold from a long way away I spotted that old color and sure enough there was the 104th Trans bringing in the mail.

ida34

Thanks for the comments. I like the color compared to the faded carc 383. I am going to leave the top as is for now. I need to stitch up the rear window. It is coming apart at the bottom. Other than this the top is good as new.

The dark red oxide probably contributed to the color being off.

I was with the 101st during the first trip. Our stuff stayed NATO 3 color the whole time. We only had one day notice before loading up for the trip. We moved out with the 18th Airborne Corp as we were a corp asset. We went earlier than the 101st and we had to wait to come home with the 101st. The rest of our battalion was with the Corp. We were forward deployed at Fort Campbell as the only 155mm M198 howitzer battery. I then went to Camp Stanley in Korea. Hang in there. I have felt your pain waiting for the wake up.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, looks really good! Maybe you can fix the spare by getting a can of flat black and spray painting it back to a black color?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks