• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting the CUCV - paint sources?

hodgeb

So I bought my M1009 with a tan/desert paint, recently painted fresh by the previous owner who bought the truck specifically to spruce it up and resell (full size modeler, I guess).

He used this paint (Sand, I'm guessing): http://www.arhcamopaint.com/Alan_Haage_Paint_Supplies/Paint_Colors.html

Anyone have experience with this ARH paint? I'm not having the best of luck. Both this primer and the paint are flaking off and cracking after only a short time after the initial application. :|

Might this be a case of the application, or the paint itself? *grumble* I'm hesitating accepting the idea that I might have to repaint it to get the body proper protection...

I know everyone around here is a big fan of CARC but I'd like to avoid the high cost...

ajsmith184

Ive never heard of that paint in all my research..I just sprayed mine with Sherwin Williams CARC...I have no complaints, at all...Gives it the real texture the housepaints i experimented with werent able to...Plus, its like an epoxy and will stick to anything and everything with very minimal prep....Good luck to ya!!! Nothing worse than seeing something like that after a lot of work :(

richingalveston

I used rapco on my 1009, Marine green, base color for the woodland camo. I like it. If you use it and plan to use the spray cans for touch up, do not put in the harder because the sheen will be different. My suggestion would to put the hardner in the first coat and then put a second coat with out hardner. The hardner makes it more scratch resistant. With a second coat without the hardner, the spray can touch up will match better.

combatmech

I used rapco on my 1009, Marine green, base color for the woodland camo. I like it. If you use it and plan to use the spray cans for touch up, do not put in the harder because the sheen will be different. My suggestion would to put the hardner in the first coat and then put a second coat with out hardner. The hardner makes it more scratch resistant. With a second coat without the hardner, the spray can touch up will match better.
+3 for Rapco. Had my M-1009 painted with the rapco 383 green. Still looks new after two and a half years.

forest522

DSCN3969.jpgI have used Rapco's rattle can and gallon offerings. The overall spray job was my first...and it passes the 10 foot test. I see lots of issues but, they are not the fault of the Rapco. The best I can tell, the paint of very forgiving and of high quality. I chose it because as a dad with two active kids, a love for the backcountry roads and a self diagnosed clutz, there would be scratches and dents...thus the Rapco - it has exact match rattle cans. 2 Gallons for the complete paint job was enough, and I later replaced both doors and painted those with the rattle can.

The match is nearly perfect. My only complaint is some of the nozzles on the rattle cans clogged quickly and after clearing continued to dribble. Not a huge deal since this is no ferrari but...after you put all that time into it...well you know...

Otherwise, I have read and seen pics of great results with Sherwin Williams, Behr, etc. even peeps using a roller...My experience has been with Rapco and they have been great.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It's not ARH paint, Haage is a dealer for Aervoe paints. I do not use that brand but there are several threads on here. Most paint problems are caused by bad prep.

dmilkman589

i did the camo job on my truck with rattle cans from wall mart and the main scheme found in the tm's everyone says it looks great...

ryan77

Sherwin williams carc will stick to anything! Mine had sand and grease painted over it and it took a da with 40 grit to grind it off!!

ryan77

I always use the carc type 2 waterborne carc! Its a 2 part system ! U mix one part paint half a part activator and a 1/4 part water! Stuff dries hard as a rock! Heres a before and after pic of my latest one !ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364339329.742569.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1364339396.026934.jpg

ganderle

How many gallons of rapco 383 green do you need to cover a M1008? Also, I plan on sand blasting it down as there is a lot of surface rust on this M1008. Is an epoxy primer or urethane primer a better option before applying the 383 Green? I want to make sure that I order enough to do this over one to 2 days after the prep is all finished. Thanks for the help.