• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting

Doug D.

so i purchased some humvee doors from Western Kentucky Surplus. They are the fiberglass ones and are pretty nice. Wanted to know how to prep to paint them.
I am using Rapco paints and need to know if i need primer. Do i need to sand them? What grit sandpaper?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
liquid sandpaper is just a chemical alternative to sanding, to remove the gloss layer on the set resin to allow primer to bond to the fiberglass better.
I see no reason why you can't treat it like any other fiberglass paint prep if that is all they do.
Then just use a primer rated for fiberglass.

If it's totally unpainted, then clean it up with a degreaser, scuff it with 220-240 grit sandpaper until all the gloss appearance is completely gone, and wash it down again.

This article has a little more detail

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coug is absolutely correct (as always).

There is also a paint and restoration section on SteelSoldiers. It has members who might have done similar stuff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks