• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paintjob: Solid OD green VS Woodland camo

jgleasonraptor350

Title says it all. Repainting the 1009 soon and I cant decide between OD green on the whole truck or the three color woodland camo scheme thats on it now.

If any of you have pictures of your paint jobs post em here or just any opinions on paint that would match the military colors.

I hear Behr paint matches the CARC paint that comes with the trucks and I have accepted the fact that I may use this on my truck lol.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My vote is and will always be a solid OD green whatever shade/type you like. A satin/Low-luster will be easier to clean and hold up better than a full flat paint. My M101A2 trailer is going to be matched painted to a Pinzgauer 712M OD which is more to the gray side of green much like the WWII Panzer color. I like the Lowes Valspar signature paint. Good luck with the project and please post some pics.

Mark

trailer paint.jpg

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't done an OD truck(yet) but here is straight CARC 383 green and the 3 color woodland camo for comparison. It's really how much do you want your vehicle to "pop".

Edit: The sun puts a lot of shine in the first picture. Both pics are within a week of painting.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lebowski

I like the Lowes Valspar signature paint.
Mark

View attachment 460374
How's the Valspar hold up over time to UV fading?
Any particular prep you do before applying it?

I used Behr solid deck stain I got from Home Depot and it has held up fairly well. Going on 5yrs now. Very minor flaking (and I mean VERY minor) in some areas to due car wash high pressure hose. I did not do any prepping, and just brush painted over the original paint. The truck does see a fair bit of trail use and has held up well to branch/brush abrasions. I bought 1 gallon and still had a bit left over. I only did he exterior of the cab, bed and tailgate, but not the inside of the bed. I probably could have painted the interior three sides of the bed, but not sure if I would have had enough to to do the floor.

If you bring in a green color sample, they can scan it and reproduce what ever green you want. You are not limited to only the Behr solid color stains that they have on the Behr display panel (with the little square color samples).

The darker undercoat paint you see is Aervoe USMC Flat Green applied about 10yrs ago. The Aervoe paint was getting chalky so I repainted it with Behr.

DSC02051.jpg

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Valspar is two years old on the Pinz and has held up very well but the trucks sits in a garage so it is not exposed to the sun. The Valspar paint is an exterior paint so I would assume it will hold up well. No flaking at all yet and the main thing I like about the paint is it is relatively thin and levels nicely. The Pinz was painted with a high quality brush and you would be hard pressed to find brush marks on the finish.

Mark

20121115_114453.jpg

How's the Valspar hold up over time to UV fading?
Any particular prep you do before applying it?

I used Behr solid deck stain I got from Home Depot and it has held up fairly well. Going on 5yrs now. Very minor flaking (and I mean VERY minor) in some areas to due car wash high pressure hose. I did not do any prepping, and just brush painted over the original paint. The truck does see a fair bit of trail use and has held up well to branch/brush abrasions. I bought 1 gallon and still had a bit left over. I only did he exterior of the cab, bed and tailgate, but not the inside of the bed. I probably could have painted the interior three sides of the bed, but not sure if I would have had enough to to do the floor.

If you bring in a green color sample, they can scan it and reproduce what ever green you want. You are not limited to only the Behr solid color stains that they have on the Behr display panel (with the little square color samples).

The darker undercoat paint you see is Aervoe USMC Flat Green applied about 10yrs ago. The Aervoe paint was getting chalky so I repainted it with Behr.

View attachment 460395

Last edited:

Lebowski

Sounds like the Valspar and Behr might be good options then. My truck sits outside 100% of the time and the Behr is doing well.
Alburms .... how flat is the Rustoleum paint?

alburms311

Sounds like the Valspar and Behr might be good options then. My truck sits outside 100% of the time and the Behr is doing well.
Alburms .... how flat is the Rustoleum paint?
Its about as flat as it gets. The overview from the website is an accurate description. "OVERVIEW:
Rust-Oleum Specialty Camouflage Spray provides a non-reflective, ultra-flat finish for maximum hiding. Applies to metal, wood, plaster or masonry. Offers long-lasting protection when applied on top of primer."

Kloakndagr

Well I started with a desert tan (Desert Shield/Desert Storm era) but after seeing how bright it was at night on a test panel, I changed my mind to OD Green (1970s) which happened to be the interior color on the back side of the door inspection panel. Went to Home Depot and had the awesome paint girl at the HD in Paso Robles mix me up a total of 4 gallons - this girl is fantastic!. So fair I've only painted the cab interior, and seats frames. I just finished having the U-pol Raptor tintable bed liner color matched so the interior will not be OD Green and Black. I'm happy with the color, besides when the zombies come it will hide/blend into my locale better than the desert tan.

Last edited:

jgleasonraptor350

Definitely going with OD green and like gunboy said if I want a camo pattern I'll add it later. Thanks for the input, pics will hopefully be posted this spring after I get her all painted up and looking like new.

jgleasonraptor350

Thinking I'll be getting some Behr paint. I like the shade of it, should have it by next week along with the spray gun I'll be using for the project

jgleasonraptor350

But the Valspar looks great also.....decisions decisions..... I'll head to the store this weekend and check it out. Ultimately the paint I want would be the most UV resistant of the two seeing as how my truck sits outside all the time. Both brands look good so this is a tough one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks