• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pallet jack to move MEP-803a around shop?

m32825

I'm not entirely sure how pallet jacks work. I know you can move a really heavy pallet of stuff around with one. How about an 803? Smooth concrete, around the garage.

-- Carl

leedawg

You probably could if you pain stskingly fed the forks through the holes and then jacked it up all the way. A pallet jack basically has two low profile poly wheels at the ends of the forks on a pivot arm that is actuated by the main hydraulic cylinder at the back that pushes down on the set of wheels at the back. The main reason the 803 would be hard to move with one is because there is a high lip at the bottom of the hole for the forks. So you can't just roll it in like you can a pallet where the wood is very low profile so the wheels on the ends of the forks roll right in. Other potential problem is if the spacing for the forks is to narrow or wide then the pallet jack won't fit. You cannot change the fork spacing on a pallet jack you are stuck with the way it is made.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not easily. The pallet jack I have is too wide to fit under one direction, and too tall to fit through the holes in the skids.

What I've done when moving one around is bolt 2x4's to the bottom to sit it on and them moved it around. Not sure I'd want to run it sitting on the 2x4's for any length of time, but I didn't try since I have a crane, and getting it back on its trailer is pretty simple.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is your intent here... just to move it in and out as needed? As others have said, you cannot use one "as-is", but you can if you raise the machine up slightly or just have it reside on a pallet. Heavy duty casters seem to be an option for some folks who need to move sets on concrete alot. I would look for at least 2 of the 4 casters to be locking (preferrable all, but thats overkill).

m32825

Thanks guys. I'd like to be able to move it around the garage and out onto the driveway. Just saw a guy using a pallet jack at one of the big box stores and thought, hmmm...

If I had casters on it and moved it out for a run, would I need to chock it in place to keep it from going exploring or would the wheel locks be good enough?

-- Carl

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. I'd like to be able to move it around the garage and out onto the driveway. Just saw a guy using a pallet jack at one of the big box stores and thought, hmmm...

If I had casters on it and moved it out for a run, would I need to chock it in place to keep it from going exploring or would the wheel locks be good enough?

-- Carl
A welded frame with good guality, heavy duty locking casters is the way to go. Set it on and forget about it. You could always put a T handle on the frame and two swivel casters on that same end and pull it around.

Be sure to sweep the path, your casters will find every pebble.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Theoretically if you aren't on any incline, the wheel locks should suffice. But chocks are pretty inexpensive as a secondary backup.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the smallest pebble feels like it can stop a freight train! Pneumatic casters would be how I would do it, for this very fact.
Yes, I've been mulling that idea over too. Tubes in the tires are a good idea too....the cheap tubless tires on 2 wheelers always seem to go flat.

justacitizen

a pallet jack should work fine for moving your generator. i move mine that way all the time. be aware that pallet jacks need a smooth hard floor or a suitable dock plate to get the load over any step in the surface. there are two methods that work fine 1 put blocks under your gen and lift from the bottom rail or 2 get a jack that fits under and through the slots in the frame of the gen.

Demoh

I threw caster pics up in the post that was linked on page 1 for the casters I make (and sometimes whoever I deliver the gen to ends up into talking me into purchasing) to move gens around the shop. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...r-802-or-803&p=2182085&viewfull=1#post2182085

For gens where pallet jacks are always needed, I get a pallet that will fit nicely (or make one) and then bolt the gen to the pallet. All of my air compressors are bolted to near perfect sized oak pallets and helps with them walking around (especially if I screw rubber air conditioner vibration mat stuff to the bottom). Use high quality heavy duty oak pallets if this is something permanent, but something that lives it's life indoors as pallets even when painted dont last outside long.

Usually just the casters though. If you are dealing with uneven terrain I would advise 2 fixed with 2 casters because 1200lbs will easily get away from you with slight variations in the ground. (when I am moving a gen across a yard with plywood laid out its a real bear)

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am using a pallet jack and I am happy with the results. I have the generator sitting on 4x4’s so the pallet jack can slide under the side. I lift using the pallet jack roll it outside and set back down on the 4x4’s when running. The pallet jack rolls easily and rather than casters can be used to move other things around the shop.

Guyfang

Staff member
a pallet jack should work fine for moving your generator. i move mine that way all the time. be aware that pallet jacks need a smooth hard floor or a suitable dock plate to get the load over any step in the surface. there are two methods that work fine 1 put blocks under your gen and lift from the bottom rail or 2 get a jack that fits under and through the slots in the frame of the gen.

I second the motion. I only used a pallet jack for two years, in a facility that had no other lift possibly. Yeah, small trash on the floor brought everything to a halt. But that just means you need to be cleaner in the shop.

JOHNPFD1

I always use just a pallet jack to move my gens, 802, 803, 003 all I do is take some 2x6 boards screw them together, lift the gen and slide the boards under 1 side at a time, it is actually pretty easy, then I put a lag bolt on each side of the frame to hold them in place. I used to use casters but this way is so much cheaper and easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks