• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PapaBear's New M151A2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been beating my head trying to remember when I was at MCLB. I'm thinking it was 94-96 and when I was there, they had a sea of M151A2s ready for demil. I need to go to Maccus land to find a nice rust free example.

sandcobra164

I betcha that's not on anybody's property book! Hold on to that rascal...I might need some parts!!:naner:

You're likely correct. I've got an GEM Cart assigned to me and only drive the Jeep when the weather is good as it has no top or doors. Nobody has asked about the Jeep in forever and I park it in a dehumidified warehouse. I would ask the higher ups if it's on the property book and it's probably not. If I bring it to their attention, it might go away and I like driving my little Jeep around. I'm going to stay quiet and keep being the only person who has a M151A2 on base as a get around vehicle. Amazingly, nobody bats an eye when I pull up.

Flyingvan911

You're likely correct. I've got an GEM Cart assigned to me and only drive the Jeep when the weather is good as it has no top or doors. Nobody has asked about the Jeep in forever and I park it in a dehumidified warehouse. I would ask the higher ups if it's on the property book and it's probably not. If I bring it to their attention, it might go away and I like driving my little Jeep around. I'm going to stay quiet and keep being the only person who has a M151A2 on base as a get around vehicle. Amazingly, nobody bats an eye when I pull up.
There's a rumor that at Fort Riley someone drained the fluids and pulled the tires off their favorite Mutt and hid it in a large closet.

Mutts are a bunch of fun. I can't wait to get my A2 restored. It's one that got squashed.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I plan to fix this lil jeep up some and just tool around in it. I'll probably be on the lookout for some doors etc., eventually. So far I haven't even tried to start it but it's supposed to start, run, stop and 4X4 and lights even work. We'll see...eventually.

I've wanted one for some time now...just had to wait til some of the guys wanted something I had bad enough to trade...LOL.

I plan to build a little "dog house" on the M416 trailer with flip up doors on the sides so I can stash stuff...like display materials etc., without them getting wet and needing to be stored somewhere else.

I might even get froggy and mount an MG pedestal and rubber ducky M60 on it just because...:shrugs:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well yesterday Doc and I had planned to go visit Brother Zout but that plan got squashed first thing in the morning so I told Doc we would make a surprise raid this morning instead.

So...about 07:30hrs this morning my storage lot manager called me and said he was sick. I'm sure he is because he has called in sick exactly 4 times in 20 years...= no trip to Zout's AO.:-(

Then...Doc, Tony, Carl and I had a nice breakfast and headed to the hooch to get the M151A2 purring...or so we thought. Charged up two heavy car batteries, checked fluids, made a temporary gas tank, made a general look around at stuff and decided to give her a whirl.:jumpin:

After cranking for awhile the fuel pump sucked up the fuel from the boat tank and we just knew we were close.:grin:

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! No joy for us...plus the carb was flooding like a mofo.:whistle:

THEN...we pulled the plugs to let the fuel evaporate...but the plugs were dry. Oh well...while we had the plugs out we dumped a little oil into the cylinders just to help the rings and maybe get some better compression...what could it hurt.

Put all the plugs back in but #1 and checked for spark...good to go.[thumbzup]

Tried cranking again with pretty much the same results. Put my hand over the carb air horn and noticed there was almost NO suction so I asked Tony to pull the carb for inspection.
The gasket between the carb and intake crumbled and was in sad condition.:sad: Doc, BabyBear, and I went to O'rielly's and bought an assorted gasket material packet and we were able to make two really pretty gaskets we needed, cleaned the carb inside and out included the needle/seat/pump...that seemed to fix the carb/suction/flooding problem.[thumbzup]

Still no joy.:x

Started messing with the distributor/igniter and was able to get some really neat backfires and even one small carb fire which was exciting for about 10 seconds.

Oh well...by this time it was nearly 16:00hrs and time for the fellers to go do husband stuff with the wives so we called it a day.

Oh yeah...before we left I asked Doc when was the last time he started/drove the jeep. He said..."Well, It wasn't long ago...remember when I helped Chris with that display at the church"?? After some discussion we sorta narrowed it down to either three...or four years ago.

Ya see...time is not the same for old fellers...it passes REALLY fast!:whistle:

Tony says he's gonna go fiddle with it a while tomorrow so we'll see what happens.:papabear:

Last edited:

mutt1966

What you are experiencing with the flooding of the carb is normal for a M151 carb when the engine is shut off it injects a shot of gas into the carb, people always have a hard time with this when they first purchase a 151 tighten the air cleaner hose and it wont leak out of the carb, its just part of the design.... Scott O&O

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Very nice find PB. If you need a pretty new very nice 151 radiator let me know as I have one. And anyway I need to send something down your way for the 5 ton winch you sent up here. Funny how stuff works.

PB at the TACP at Benning in 64-65 we had a very nice 151. All the other units we had were M38A1s'. If you can find the radio gear for the back seat you could turn yours in to a like unit. Would go well with your AF M38A1. The MRC 108 radio gear made the 151s' a little top heavy.

Attachments

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Very nice find PB. If you need a pretty new very nice 151 radiator let me know as I have one. And anyway I need to send something down your way for the 5 ton winch you sent up here. Funny how stuff works.

PB at the TACP at Benning in 64-65 we had a very nice 151. All the other units we had were M38A1s'. If you can find the radio gear for the back seat you could turn yours in to a like unit. Would go well with your AF M38A1. The MRC 108 radio gear made the 151s' a little top heavy.
I think my radiator is good...but I'm gonna send it to be cleaned/rodded as the "coolant" in it is rusty looking as a mofo. I'll let you know as things progress.

You don't owe anything me for the winch my Brother...you wanted it...I had it...so you got it. It ain't about money/owing...it's about Brothers looking out for each other where ever we can.:beer:

I gotta get this rascal purring before I even consider how I wanna set her up. Tony told me today the distributor/igniter is FUBAR so I'm gonna try to address that tomorrow.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just an update.

Doc had an extra distributor that he forgot he had until he stepped on it trying to get into his shed!! He brought it down to the "hooch" and Tony opened it up and looked around and pronounced it good to go.

So...we shoved the "new" distributor in and tapped the engine with the magic wand and that rascal fired up like a brand new one!!:jumpin:

Next step is to bleed the brakes and do an inch by inch inspection but so far all systems are a GO!!:D

I may be interested in a set of side curtains and doors with frames if anyone has some that are not made of gold.:whistle:

jasonjc

WOW, think how far we've come with radios in the last 50 years.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
After some severe time lags I decided to update this thread and stop crowding in on Zout's thread about restoring Doc's M170 Ambulance with a quick update.

Seems like Commander Warp had too much time on his hands after researching, fabricating unobtainable parts, and waiting for stuff to be shipped in for he M170.

SO...he told me to bring him the M151A2 so he could prep it for the ride to the Georgia Military Vehicle Rally (GMVR)...and so I did.:-D

In his usual style. the Commander took care of some of the cosmetic deails (I ask him to leave most of them so I wouldn't be afraid to use it) and got it ready to paint with the BEHR 24087 paint.

Last Saturday the jeep had 4 coats of paint and looked better than any I remember seeing in the motor polls.

SO...while we were there, Tony whipped out his magic phone and ordered 4 new 7:00X16 tires...they came in today.:driver:

Looks like she will make the trip to the GMVR in a couple of weeks!:beer:

Attachments

sandcobra164

My favorite type of Jeep. Talk to DH, I would honestly trade my NOS CUCV for such a fine example and he wants my CUCV. Maybe a triangular deal can be made.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks