• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Park brake question

Guzgog

Hello from the UK. I ought to introduce myself as a newbie but have been reading up for quite a while and bought a M35A2 last November and am really enjoying it here in the UK even though I had never driven anything quite like it before. I have a small problem with my park brake in that the inner brake shoe is not clearing the drum when released. Everything is free and greased and it only causes problems when in reverse and you can hear the shoe getting caught on the drum and it makes a banging sound like someone is banging on the truck bed. The inner drum surface was quite greasy and this has only happened after degreasing it and giving the shoe a surface it can grip to. I have read the TM,s but have not found the answer as of yet.:)

Guzgog

Thank you for the reply. I am reading the TM again now and think I may just take the assembly apart and print the relevent pages of the TM off and start afresh as per the TM so I get to understand the parking brake properly as I have never come across one with the inner and outer shoes before.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Make syre you have all the springs on the system. Sounds like you don't, that will allow the inner brake to contact the drum. Can you post a pic?

Guzgog

After looking again at the TM I think I am beginning to understand how to adjust it and so will print off and set off to look at it after tea. I do have a feeling that I may be one spring short as I have only seen two not three as there should be but I am pretty sure it is not adjusted to proper spec.

Guzgog

Thanks for the pointers and I have adjusted the brake as best I can and it now clears the drum by .4mm but I do have a spring missing from the outer shoe adjuster at the top and so have ordered a set of three springs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks