• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking Brake - Air

PowerstrokeNC

I just want to make sure I understand he parking brake correctly on my M923-A1.
It is spring activated, so when you 'let off' the parking brake air pressure is applied and deactivates the brake. When you apply the parking brake the air pressure is released the spring mechanism takes over and applies the brake.
This is also a fail safe for loss of air pressure, because then parking brake automatically comes on. Did I figure this out correctly or am I way off base?

Thanks

Flyingvan911

If it's the same as spring brakes on 18 wheelers, then yes, you are right. Do you have to press a button to release the "parking brake"? If yes, then you are right about the brakes.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
You are close . the parking break stays released till air is lost or it is reaplied, it does not operate your service brakes. there are 2 chambers 1 is for the parking break. the 2nd is for your servce brakes witch is operated by a seperate air diaphram. that operates the service brakes.

Attachments

rawhide

I didn't see where the OP said anything about service brakes in the first post. Air bleed off, whether by switch or by accident, enables the parking brake. Applying air pressure releases the parking brake.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understanding your air brakes is one reason why a CDL is typically needed with air brakes.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have to ask, on the M923a1, what is the correct way to park the truck?

1. put the parking brake up
2. push the spring brake button in to park.

Thanks!

jwaller

Ok, I have to ask, on the M923a1, what is the correct way to park the truck?

1. put the parking brake up
2. push the spring brake button in to park.

Thanks!
nope. put the parking brake up. thats all.

do not push in the spring brake over ride unless you have a problem with the truck and it must be moved.

Bighurt

this is true for the front, but the back are dual units. that is where you get your parking brake from.
Forgive me I'm still learning the M939 series and was confusing primary and secondary brake systems. However I'm fairly certain the primary system only has a service chamber.

Feel free to correct me as this is how I read the TM and whats under my truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks