• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking brake and tranny ven questions

panzerjunky

Good afternoon my OD bros.

Just a couple questions fer ya
what Tm covers parking brake adjustment I have a good 1/4 inch on my P-brake shoes so I am guessing that they are good but my in cab P-brake lever adjustment is as tight as it will go an I am some slippage as the chocks are getting tight on removal and on a steeper grade it would move so I would like to back off the in cab adjustment knob and tighten her up somewhere else. What do you suggest.
Number next is when I took my seats and tunnel covers off for painting I pressure washed the top of the tranny/ transfer put her all back together but when done found the top half of a vent cap with the little spring in it laying on my drive I swear i seen one on truck intact and cant see how I would have broken it off just putting the tunnel covers back on But...... in the event that I did snap it off what damage am I doing running it without said vent until I can find one ( who sells them and what is the correct term for this thing)
Does anyone have a pic of the top of the tranny transfer so I can see where these things go to make sure one is not broken off that i didnt see.
Lastly For now I am ding my tranny trans oil change got a 5 gallon bucket of GL5 what I want to know is from you fellas that put lucas in you trucks how many QT per trans and transfer do you recomend to use. And do you think it really helps I have read a couple posts that say it really helps with shifting. as my 1st to 2nd is tight . And what lucas would you use for this.
Thanks Jerry

Flyingvan911

Be sure your GL-5 is MT-1 rated. I put 8.5 pints (about 4 quarts) in the tranny. That brings it up to about 1/2" below the fill hole. 3 quarts of GL-5 and 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. The transfer case takes about 7 quarts. 5 1/2 quarts of GL-5 and 1 1/2 quarts of Lucas. I try to keep the Lucas to about 20-25% of the capacity of the particular gearbox.

The vent is to relieve pressure in the transmission. It might not hurt to plug the hole if you make short trips and the oil doesn't get very warm. If the vent breaks, you can install a barb and run a hose up the firewall. there are a few threads about doing this vent mod.