• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

parking brake drum service limit

hardhead

Assistance needed; After using the search engine (no hits) I have a M817 recieving new parking brake shoes. The outside surface is rusted and pitted,In my opinion needing resurfaced ,for shoe longevity,and preformance.
There is no evidence of a ridge , just rust and pits
The maint. TM gives a service limit ID of 13.500" with NO refrence to drum THICKNESS or OD DIMENSION It also referrs to TM-9-4910-482-10 . I suspect the TM covers resurfacing machine practices
The drum is the same on 5 tons and deuces,, does anybody know of this missing information??:?:
Thanks

KsM715

This is just my opinion so take it for whats it's worth. The parking brake is just for that, parking, so in theory you should not have to worry about the surface. Infact the "pits" should give it more grip and holding power.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it would hold better if it's rough. It's not like a service brake where if the drum is rusted and pitted it grinds the brake shoe down because the pieces come together while they are in motion. The truck should be stopped when you put the parking brake on.

If it's bad hit it with a wire wheel or sand paper. I wouldn't worry about it unless it looks like it was on the Titanic.

hardhead

OH yeah it sure looks like a relic from the titanic,lol I think I am going to chuck it up on the lathe and clean it up just a whisker
I used a driveshaft brake about 25 years ago to stop a truck once resulting in white knuckles ,really big eyes and tobacco stains in my shorts, it's just one of those things you don't forget!