• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

parking brake return spring issues

joshua022

I installed a parking brake return spring when I replaced all the parking brake parts they were all missing. Everything worked fine for a while but I could not keep the return spring on, it kept coming off. I put it on the best way I could tell with the TM. and it was fine as long as it was not used.

When I place the parking brake on, it put soo much tension on the spring that it would not stay in the little divot in the parking brake arm, thus why it kept falling off.

Any ideas? or alternate options? or pics of how yours is, maybe I did it backwards.

without the return spring it wants to lock up when I try to back out of my driveway so It is out of commission at the moment and we are actually getting snow now, and I was looking forward to taking her out.

Thank you!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are referring to the long spring, I believe the lever/arm has a cotter pin in the hole and in the cotterpin's hole the hook goes into that(not the arm hole).

This can be confirmed with a look at the parts TM.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked and I don't see a cotter pin as I described but I am nearly sure mine all have it like that.

Woodsplinter

If you are referring to the long spring, I believe the lever/arm has a cotter pin in the hole and in the cotterpin's hole the hook goes into that(not the arm hole).

This can be confirmed with a look at the parts TM.
Correct. When I replaced mine, the spring was attached to a cotter pin in the hole on the arm. I don't think the TM shows the cotter pin but you need it.

It's a common hardware store part- nothing special.

joshua022

Correct. When I replaced mine, the spring was attached to a cotter pin in the hole on the arm. I don't think the TM shows the cotter pin but you need it.

It's a common hardware store part- nothing special.
Could someone take a picture so I can tell how it is hooked up or a "paint" drawing since its hard to get too.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In total, there are 3 springs on the parking brake.

the lever arm spring

the mustache spring

and the one at the top of the outer shoe.

Jeepsinker

On mine the long tang on the spring goes into the hole on the arm and wraps around the arm and then over to the frame bracket. I've never had a problem with that spring. I've only seen the cotter pin in use on M54 and M809 series 5 tons. Every deuce I've ever been under ( easily 100 or more) in the past year alone has just had the long tang of the spring fed into the hole in the arm.

Woodsplinter

Here are some pics:
The first shows how mine was originally attached with the cotter pin. The second shows how it is now connected- I ended up going to Ace hardware and finding a replacement spring and it fit through the hole without the cotter pin and does not fall out. The third shows the moustache spring and the fourth shows the other spring used for adjusting the parking brake.

Attachments

Woodsplinter

Before I serviced my parking brake, it took a pretty good tug on the handle to set the brake. The nut on the end of the cable was too corroded to remove so I had to cut it off to remove the brake shoes so i could have them relined- that meant buying a new cable which wasn't in the original plan.

With the new cable I can now set the brake with two fingers- it was amazing how corroded the cable was inside the outer sheath! Well worth the cost. I also discovered doing this work is MUCH easier with the spare tire off.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Woodsplinter pictures and explanation is really good so I went out under my truck to see if it is good enough to eat off of too, but alas, it is a pig sty. I need new shoes and a mustache.
Anyway she has no cotter pin, as the spring end is thru the hole in the lever. never a problem with it.

IMG_4705.jpgIMG_4707.jpgIMG_4704.jpgIMG_4708.jpg

Woodsplinter

Woodsplinter pictures and explanation is really good so I went out under my truck to see if it is good enough to eat off of too, but alas, it is a pig sty. I need new shoes and a mustache.
Anyway she has no cotter pin, as the spring end is thru the hole in the lever. never a problem with it.

View attachment 544607View attachment 544608View attachment 544606View attachment 544609
Haha-u funy man- u go now..

My mustache was broken for a long time which allows that end of the shoe to "flap in the wind" as your driving. I discovered through experience that replacements will continue to break until the shoes are properly adjusted.

It was much cheaper to have a local brake shop re-line the shoes instead of buying online.