• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking Brake & Speedo cable

ken mcculloch

I was going to adjust my parking brake yesterday & ran into a snag. It appears that I have run out of adjustment on both the adjustment bolt & the “J” bolt with the springs. Upon further investigation, it seems that basically the top 1/3 of the brake lining is not even there so that’s probably why I can’t make the adjustment… not enough lining. Looks like I will be buying a new lining & band.

In addition, while I was there I was surprised at what seemed like a fair amount of TC fluid splattered all over the springs & adjustment bolts, as well as the underside of the body. THEN, I noticed that the speedo cable was not attached to the TC. (I knew it was not hooked up to the speedo but …) QUESTION… if the cable is not in the TC, is the TC open to the elements & free to throw fluid about? I assume the hole that the cable goes into is open to the inside of the TC???

Thanks, Ken

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure that the driven gear is still in the case. If it is there the seal should keep most oil inside, if the gear or worse if the adapter is not still in the case you have a BIG leak path.

ken mcculloch

ST,

I assume it will be very evident if something like the gear or adapter is missing? Will there just be a hole into the TC and no place for the cable to index?

thanks, Ken

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the driven gear is missing it will not be obvious, the shaft is only roughly 1/4" but if not there it leaves a 1/4" hole. If the adapter is missing the hole is roughly 1" and really bad.
Reach up to the attachment point, if you can get a finger into the opening then no adapter. Use a small mirror to see if the driven gear is in the adapter, or just unscrew the adapter and look.

Let us know.

ken mcculloch

ST,
thanks for the info. I haven't been able to spend any time on the truck for the last few days but I will be getting to it soon and I will use your input wisely!!

thanks, Ken

ken mcculloch

I was actually able to crawl under the M last night for a few minutes & it appears that all of the speedo cable parts are present in the TC so I am not sure where the fluid came from. There is acually no fluid on or in the area of the hookup at the TC. I will have to tear the brake assy apart & replace the lining in the next few weeks so I guess I will need to look at it it in more detail then. Maybe a seal behind the brake drum?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks