• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking Brake VANISHED

BruceB

G'day, gents.

On inspecting my "new" ('71 M35A2) Deuce, i find that the parking brake essentially doesn't exist. I have the handle in the cab, and the brake drum underneath, and NOTHING in between. No linkages, no shoes, no mounts for the shoes....nada.

I checked the TMs to see what's missing, but they're not much help in establishing a plan of attack. Where to get the parts, and how to do the rebuild? Ideally, I suppose that having another deuce next to mine as an exemplar would help in reconstruction, but that's not practical for my area...at least, I don't think it is.

The missing brake is a concern due to the peculiarities of Deuce driving; I don't see it as an option but rather a necessity.

As usual, any advice is much appreciated.

B

Flyingvan911

You need a cable, a spring to hold the outer shoe up, a spring to hold the lever back (under the truck), and the boomerang shaper spring to hold the inner and outer shoes apart. Then you need the lever that the cable pulls to squeeze the shoes to the drum. Then you need the inner and outer parting brake shoes. Adjusting them is easy. Just follow the TM. I am at work so I don't have any pics and can't remember the TM number.

jasonjc

The parts TM will show you all the parts. If you need I have a x-fer case in the shop I can get you clear pic's of the brake set up if you need.

Sirblissfull

Memphis equipment looks to have parts in stock.

Good people I like dealing with them.

I tried to add a link to the parts page it did not work.

Last edited:

BruceB

Thanks again.

I started this thread toward the end of last night's shift, and slept all day. Now I'm back at work, and very grateful for the responses.

A picture truly IS "worth a thousand words."

Looking at that parking-brake assembly, I can see that I'm going to have some difficult sledding. Fortunately, I have an amigo who worked on these trucks for many years in the national Guard (and who still serves combat tours in the 'stan). Hopefullythe two of us can figure it out.

Checking the Memphis website, I see most if not all of the pieces there. Very helpful.

Last edited:
older ones will have two adjusting nuts not one lock nut, with a bevel not a rubber washer. and a longer softer return spring connected to the frame. not that it matters. you can always push your foot thru the floor.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
older ones will have two adjusting nuts not one lock nut, with a bevel not a rubber washer. and a longer softer return spring connected to the frame. not that it matters. you can always push your foot thru the floor.
Yes, that return coil spring + tab attached to the frame can be seen in my 1st pic, upper right. The other end attaches to the lever, at the cotter pin eye.

What looks as rubber actually is black polyamide. Not a factory option, though...:wink:

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks