• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking brake won't hold in reverse

Apex02

Maybe this is a dumb question but does the parking brake not work when the shifter is in reverse? I had the truck off, e brake on, and the shifter in reverse and had to chase the truck down the driveway to stop it. Seems to hold the truck fine in neutral and drive

DCIV

Don't think that matters. My parking brake was about worthless when I picked up my humvee, suuuuper easy to adjust. Just with the brake released, turn the top part of the brake clockwise, check it every so often, when you feel it's about as hard as you can to pull up then it's set. The gear selector shouldn't make a difference.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't think that matters. My parking brake was about worthless when I picked up my humvee, suuuuper easy to adjust. Just with the brake released, turn the top part of the brake clockwise, check it every so often, when you feel it's about as hard as you can to pull up then it's set. The gear selector shouldn't make a difference.
I recommend checking it every month or so. It seems to loosen up over time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jasonjc

Brake don't hold as good going backwards as forwards. I had a platoon sergeant that would back off the knob on the brake handle. He thought it was a tension adjustment for the handle not the brakes.

riderdan

That's why you should use some kind of wheel chock.
Definitely good advice. I don't recall ever parking one unchocked while I was in the service and I continue the practice now that I have one of my own. Since there's no "park" on the transmission (and thus no parking pawl to hold the truck) it's really not a good idea to park on even the slightest grade without a chock. I do occasionally skip placing it if the truck is against a parking bumper that's downhill of it, but even then I'll often chock a rear.
If your 5600 lb humvee rolls away when you're nearby, you might be able to catch it. If it rolls off while you're not there, it might smash itself, another vehicle, or even worse, some kid.

Apex02

Got it. I'll check this. When I tighten the knob all the way the brake won't set so I guess you can over tighten it. I'll keep an eye on this going forward. Thanks for the advice

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks